1979 mercury 40 will not crank

deke m.

Cadet
new plugs fire well <br />compression is good<br />while spinning the motor, I only get an ocassional blurp and thats it. Please help : :confused: :( :(

Greg New Zealand

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1979 mercury 40 will not crank

Tell us some more. We need a bit of history - is this motor new to you, has it run well in the past?<br /><br />Also, you say that it will not crank yet "....while spinning the motor...". I presume that it will crank but not start.

deke m.

Cadet

new too me, but was said to have run two years ago when it was last used.<br /><br />no actually it acts as though the plugs do not fire,except for every 3 of 4 seconds, and it will blurp out the exhaust. this is just while turning the motor with the starter. maybe a timeing problem?<br /><br />with the new plugs out and grounded they fire good<br /><br />this is my first time with a boat motor<br />thank you very much

deke m.

Cadet

I have no key so i am attempting to crank without the harness attched

deke m.

Cadet

Originally posted by Greg New Zealand:<br /> Tell us some more. We need a bit of history - is this motor new to you, has it run well in the past?<br /><br />Also, you say that it will not crank yet "....while spinning the motor...". I presume that it will crank but not start.
:eek:

Greg New Zealand

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it was running OK and nobody has touched the motor, it won't be a timing problem. It is more likely to be gunk in the carbs/ fuel problem.<br /><br />If you want to work on this motor then you will need to get a workshop manual first. Don't start anything until you have one. It will then be easier for us to explain problems to you.

deke m.

Cadet

workshop manual avaliable over the net?<br /><br />thanks, Greg<br /><br />i feel a little better now