engine fire help

pipefighter

Recruit
I have a 1980 merc outboard and last week had an engine fire under the cowl. Got it out ok but didnt have a chance to look for the cause yet. Anyone have any ideas or similar experiances. Was a fuel fire for sure and ran the boat home afterwards without problem.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: engine fire help

fuel + air + ignition = POOF..any fuel leak, air sucked under hood and any spark from short in wires or hi v.spark from faulty ign. wires and you have a fire..<br />are you a UA pipefighrer ?? loc.9 nj

timmathis

Lieutenant

You could have been flooded. And small back fire, Then poof. That's all it takes! Marine fires Happen more than you think! That is why you should allways have A fire ext. A lot of times you can start the motor and it will go out.

jwr_20

Seaman Apprentice

I had the exact same problem with my 1984 75hp Merc! The fuel that caught fire came from the carbs when I tilted the motor up, and a small bit leaked out. My questions are these: How can you prevent the motor from backfiring? Also, could faulty floats or inlet needles allow the carbs to leak fuel like that? <br /><br />Any ideas are greatly appreciated.<br />Thanks

irishflies

Seaman

My voltage regulator shorted out and caught on fire. Replaced it but during the fire the second one, which is located above it must have become damaged and failed after about 7 more trips.My engine is a 1998 carb. 6 cyl. Regulators are located on rear of head on bracket.