bog down at take off

DOCD9501

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 90) v200 merc S # oc219197. I just mounted it. When you first take off in the morning as long as you dont idle for a long ways it runs fine.Then once you run it or put load on it it wont take off. You can rev it real hard and then put it in gear and it usually takes off. Its worse with a load. Once on top it runs like a champ but seems to use alot of gas. I cleaned the carbs, put a new bulb on, new fuel filter, checked the lines and changed the fuel pump. The jets are all correct acordding to the book. It has WH carbs. It has orifs in the front of the carbs which I thought were back draft and idle air jets. Are they not? They are in a strange pattern. They are all the same size. I thought starboard side was idle air and port backdraft. But they are arranged like this. X being orif. <br /><br /> Xo<br /> XX<br /> oX<br /><br />I thank anyone who helps alot. Peace to all and thanks! :cool:

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: bog down at take off

my wh carbs call's for #56 idle jets ( air )<br />I found after many ,many .other "fix's"<br />the problem was still there ..<br /><br />long idle results in bogging ,sometime's even died<br />rev it up in neutral and gas it hard would get me on plane ..then all was good ..<br /><br />I changed idle jets to # 52 ..(less air ,more fuel ..<br />It idle's all day , and will go any rpm from there<br />no bog .....jets are a cheap try , and running "richer cannot hurt your engine "<br /><br /><br />no guarantee,s but it worked for me ..$ 3.00 x6 jets

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: bog down at take off

OOP!! forgot <br />When I changed Jets..it was the same time I was replacing reed valves..<br />I found the stock gasket was overlapping the flange on the intake manifold right at the spot the Bleed valves stick into it <br />creating a "dam " to puddle unburned fuel .<br />that the bleed valve could not get to.<br /><br />I trimmed the gasket and replaced jets at the same time ..<br />So what was the fix ? <br />one of them certainly was ..<br />some carbed merc's do it , and some dont ..<br />maybe a QC thing on their gaskets , and or they are jetting on the lean side to please some crowd.