Radio Shack Rectifier and heat?

sramelyk

Seaman
I concluded my rectifier was bad..<br /><br />I had the same voltage not running and running at about 2500 rpm.. <br /><br />I purchased the radio shack full-wave bridge rectifier rated for 25amps.. I installed it and now when idled up to 2500 rpms I go from 12.6v to 13.4 volts.. Which seems to atleast be charging a little, and I would also assume at higher RPM's I will get a higher output. <br /><br />My question.. The rectifier is getting really hot. Is this normal? It looks like the old rectifier was mounted to the block providing a great heat sink. Should I worry?

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Radio Shack Rectifier and heat?

Does the new one have three post?

timmathis

Lieutenant

If so. I think you ground one. There was A post about this not long ago, I'll try to find it and get back with you. Tim<br />P.S. you try to find it also. Good luck

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A rectifier of that capacity needs a heat sink.

sramelyk

Seaman

It was a four prong.. 1 ground, one positive to the battery and 2 AC's.. Which are going to the stator.<br /><br />What kinda of heat sink? Do I just stick it on the back of the rectifier? Would I be good for a weekend of boating? I leave tomorrow...

sramelyk

Seaman

I looked threw some old posts and note that a heatsink is needed.. So.. What size? One about the size of the rectifier? An old processor heatsink?

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget to apply heat sink compound to tramsfer heat to mtg. base.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Use as big a heat sink as you can possibly fit under the hood. The sink itself should be bolted somewhere on the engine so the sink can transfer the heat.

sramelyk

Seaman

Ok.. I will get one today.. Whats the worst outcome of this? The rectifier exploding? Or just blowing the rectifier and it not working? We are going camping for 3 days, and I am worried now.. The charging system hasn't worked for the last 2 years and am wondering if I should just disconnect it for the weekend.. Thanks for the help!

phatmanmike

Captain

stop telling this guy he needs a heat sink!<br /><br />who said this, or who here uses a heat sink?<br /><br />i personally have used these on more than 6 different motors, two i still currently own. yes they get hot, thats fine, dont shove em down your pants when they are hot and youll be fine.

sramelyk

Seaman

Welp.. That makes me feel better.. I would really like some concensus.. Just worried about the family..

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If you're really concerned about the heat, bolt it to the engine block. That'll get rid of more heat than you can generate.<br /><br />Chris.......

sramelyk

Seaman

Can't seem to get any holes to line up right.. That was my first thought, and really not because of heat but just to have it mounted down tight.. I am not really concerened with the heat as long as its not going to explode.. I ran it at about 2000 rpm's last night for about 15 minutes and it never seem to continue to get hot.. Reach a certain temp then seemed to maintain that temp. I would assume however that it would get hotter at higher rpms..<br /><br />Normally I would just buy a heatsink, and attach it.. Unfortunately I just don't know if I have enough time.. I am at work and my boat and truck are loaded for camping.. I am leaving directly after work.. As long as I am not in danger, I feel fine.. If the rectifier just stops working I am fine, because thats were I have been for 2 years.. I just don't want the thing to explode and start a fire.. Which I guess anything is possible.

sramelyk

Seaman

myoutboards or anyone else.. Does anyone have one of these rectifiers on a boat with no heatsink? I would assum myoutboards does from his comments. Not sure if it was mounted to the block though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yes some do have have a heat sink. Some are mounted in a cavity in the engine block and are water cooled. 20 amps makes heat. No -- it won't explode. Will it get hot enough to burn up some wires touching it or chaff things by bouncing around and leaving one stranded is questionable. Its a suggestion -- not a demand. If rectifiers and regulators were cooled better, you would not see the number of failures you do on these boards.

sramelyk

Seaman

Fair enough.. I thank everyone for the help and suggestions.. I am going to give it a whirl and hope for the best.. If it survives the weekend I will put a heatsink on for good measure when I return.<br /><br />I really appreciate all the help I have received here on iboats.com. What an invaluable resource!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

When I did mine, I cut a piece of scrap aluminum into a 3x3 square, and mounted the whole mess where the old rectifier was. I have had no problems. The heat sink is a better-safe-than-sorry, not an absolute necessity.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

could always try using an old PC CPU heatsink.... they are free down at the rubbish dump!

CARLOS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sramelyk:<br />I would like to ask you if I can install any rectifier to my 2.5L engine, because I concluded that one of the rectifiers are bad. RPM¨s are working but same voltage at any engine speed. So, how can I install a Radio Shack rectifier in my engine? It´s cheaper than the original Mercury rectifier?<br />In my country I can find Radio Shack Shop...<br />Please explain to me how can I solve this problem with foreigner rectifier!<br />Thanks<br />Carlos Schemel<br />Venezuela

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Carlos, all you do is hook up the two stator wires to each A/C post, the red positive wire to +, and ground the - post to the engine on those 'shack rectifiers. All a rectifier is is a diode that clips the alternating current from the stator, causing it to only flow in one direction, (DC Current). All rectifiers do it the same way. The 'shack rectifier can handle the output of any outboard motor stator.