90 hp merc- has spark now - will not shut off.

harwich

Cadet
OK,<br /><br />I found my no spark problem. It was the mercury switch. I disconnected it and the engine fires and runs, even after I turn off the key. I have to touch the mercury switch connection back to it's post to ground out the spark and kill it.<br />Any ideas?<br /><br />Also this is the first time I have ever ran it out of the water. I have a set of ear muffs hooked to a garden house clamped on to the lower unit but I am not getting any water out of the spray tube (I don't know the proper term). Does the engine have to warm up before it comes out of the top? This engine never sprayed much out up there.<br /><br />Thanks for any help.

harwich

Cadet
Re: 90 hp merc- has spark now - will not shut off.

I found the problem with it not shutting off.<br /><br />I disconnected the mercury switch at the switch box, there is a second ground wire on that same connector. I reconnected it and disconnected the mercury switch ground and it stops and starts now.<br /><br />I still need some advice on the water issue.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Run heavy wire, coat hanger,or compressed air throught the hole to clear debris. The engine doesn't need to warm up to squirt water but some engines take a few seconds.

timmathis

Lieutenant

When was your impeller changed? It should be done every other year. (With normal use)

harwich

Cadet

Thanks guys.<br />I will check to be sure the telltale hole is clear.<br /><br />Tim,<br />I have NEVER changed the impeller. I bought it used and ran it for 3 seasons, pretty light the second season and only a couple times the third. Guess that could be the problem, sounds like I am going to be taking apart that lower unit.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Steve