50hp Merc starting issues - fuel not getting into cyclinders

Michael1512

Recruit
I have a 1996 50hp oil injected Mercury Outboard. After the engine sits for more than a few days, it wont start. It will turn over, I get a spark and the gasline bulb is hard as a rock but there is no fuel getting to the cylinders. To get it started, I pour a little gas into each of the cylinders and it revs rigt up. It is good then for the rest of the day and I can't start and stop as often as I like. Once I let it sit again for a few days, I have the same problem. I am using the reformulated gas so I'm going to try and switch the tank out to the normal gas and see if that makes a difference but just wondering if any one has any ideas to help troubleshoot. Thanks.

hooksetter62

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 50hp Merc starting issues - fuel not getting into cyclinders

are you using your choke problerly on cold starts? my choke system works like this,40 hp mariner 4 cyl-- turn key on,raise throttle lever,push in on key for about 5-7 seconds then crank engine,pushing in on the key primes your cyls with fuel.are you hearing a clicking sound when you push in on your key? that is your choke solenoid engaging. hope this helps,if not at least i tried. let us know if this works.

Michael1512

Recruit
Re: 50hp Merc starting issues - fuel not getting into cyclinders

Thanks for the reply. I do push in the key while I turn it but I'll try with pushing it in longer. I have almost exactly the same motor on another boat and it starts fine. I don't hear the click so maybe there is something with the choke. Thanks for the advice.