Frozen ball bearings

valiantjedi

Cadet
Hi all, nice board you have here. I have a question. I just bought a new*to me* boat that came with a Mercruiser 115HP engine. The person I bought the boat from still has the boat but I took the lower outdrive home to work on. <br />The guy who owned the boat bought it from another lady who had let water sit in the lower outdrive. I have taken most of the components off the outdrive but I can't seem to get in past the driveshaft or the propellor shaft on either end of it. Does anyone know how to go further into it? I can see 3 ball bearings that have been kicked out of place but can't see if there are more problems than just rust yet. I've emailed the guy asking for the year and model # of the engine. So hopefully I can update with more information later today. Thanks in advance.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Frozen ball bearings

With the carrier removed and the w/puump removed from the unit, place the drive shaft in a vice and remove the pinion gear retaining nut then the drive shaft comes out the top and the rest comes out the bullet

Laddies

Banned

With the carrier removed and the w/puump removed from the unit, place the drive shaft in a vice and remove the pinion gear retaining nut then the drive shaft comes out the top and the rest comes out the bullet

valiantjedi

Cadet

Hmm, thanks I'll try that as soon as I get home. Are you able to see the whole gearing once the shaft is out or will the propellor shaft need to come out also?

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you should get a manual before you get too deep.<br />Rich

valiantjedi

Cadet

Well after dumping more water out of it there looks like rust around the nut. Should I risk using a hammer to knock it loose with a pry tool? The nut I'm assuming is the one that looks like an inside out gear and rotates within the bullet. Is there a special tool to remove this?

valiantjedi

Cadet

Oh, he also replied that it's a 6 cylinder fuel injected Mercury. 115HP. I'm at work but I'll post the model number when I get home. Thanks in advance all.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Get you A manual! It and iboats can and will make life A whole lot easier for you. And save A lot of headakes.