Audible Alarm sounding on a 1999 90HP Merc. ELPTO??

shawnwithers

Recruit
First of all, hello to everyone being that this is my first post.<br /><br />I have a question, I just bought a 1999 Tracker ProTeam 185 boat with a 90HP Mercury ELPTO engine. If I understand correctly, there is an audible alarm that sounds if the oil tank/reservoir is low OR if the engine is overheating.<br /><br />The audible alarm went off as my wife was idling off of the boat ramp and she was waiting to load the boat on the trailer. I quickly loaded the boat on the trailer when the alarm went off and shut the engine down.<br /><br />I pulled the cowling off the engine and saw that the oil reservoir still had plenty of oil. The engine was also shooting a strong stream of water from the water hole.<br /><br />What could the audible alarm mean? Thanks for any input.

shawnwithers

Recruit
Re: Audible Alarm sounding on a 1999 90HP Merc. ELPTO??

Did someone break wind?<br /><br />Bump.

sangerwaker

Commander

Sorry about that wind there GHG.... ;) :D <br /><br />Welcome to iboats! :cool: <br /><br />What did the alarm sound like? A continuous beep, or was there a short pause between them?<br /><br />The continuous beep is temp and means there is more than likely something amiss in the cooling system.<br /><br />A pulsing beep is the oil alarm and usually means something in the oil sytem is amiss.<br /><br />Let us know and we'll try to help out.

shawnwithers

Recruit

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> Sorry about that wind there GHG.... ;) :D <br /><br />Welcome to iboats! :cool: <br /><br />What did the alarm sound like? A continuous beep, or was there a short pause between them?<br /><br />The continuous beep is temp and means there is more than likely something amiss in the cooling system.<br /><br />A pulsing beep is the oil alarm and usually means something in the oil sytem is amiss.<br /><br />Let us know and we'll try to help out.
It was one continous, and VERY loud alarm. I about wizzed down my leg as I wasn't expecting a fire alarm esque type of sound to come from my boat.

sangerwaker

Commander

That would be the temp, or overheat alarm then. Sounds like the cooling system needs inspection.<br /><br />Was this motor serviced by a mechanic at all before you bought it? Do you know the service record of the motor?<br /><br />I'm wondering when the last time the water pump system was rebuilt. It should be very much a part of your regular maintenance routine. Depending on how much it gets used, it needs to be replaced every year or two.

shawnwithers

Recruit

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> That would be the temp, or overheat alarm then. Sounds like the cooling system needs inspection.<br /><br />Was this motor serviced by a mechanic at all before you bought it? Do you know the service record of the motor?<br /><br />I'm wondering when the last time the water pump system was rebuilt. It should be very much a part of your regular maintenance routine. Depending on how much it gets used, it needs to be replaced every year or two.
I'm fairly mechanically inclined and was wondering if it is difficult to replace the water pump? How hard is it to get to?<br /><br />By the way, the water pump on the motor is the original one. The boat and motor was used very little by the previous owner.

sangerwaker

Commander

I would say it's definitely time for a rebuild then. It's located on the driveshaft of the lower unit, which must be removed to replace the necessary components. If you're unfamiliar with the procedure, I highly recommend getting a manual, either by purchasing, borrowing, or at minimum, going to the local library and checking one out. It is the most valuale tool in your arsenal for your outboard.

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You said you had a strong pee stream from the pee hole.I wouldn't jump to conclusion its the water pump impeller. Though we should change them within a 2-3 yr time frame depending on use or no use of the outboard.<br />On your motor is a pressure test port at the top of the engine just to the left of the top spark plug. this also where the pee hole hose is attached.If the water pump is failing the pressure will be low at the portdepending on engine rpm.<br />9 times out 10 its the alarm module going bad on these motors.<br />Rich

denjac

Recruit

I also had this same problem with a 95 150hp. It was the fuel filter. Was\full of water. Changed filter and alarm stopped.

clove

Seaman

I just replaced the alarm module on my 1990 135 Black Max due to the same problem. Constant beep as soon as you turned the key. It fixed the problem but the part was not cheap--~$200.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Have you verified that it's overheating? You should be able to touch the cylinder heads w/o getting burned, Most Mercs use 143° thermostats (actual engine temp may be slightly higher). If it's not actually overheating, the thermo switch may be faulty or the lead may be grounding. An OEM shop manual (*.pdf's available on-line) would be very helpful, rather than starting to change out expensive parts.<br />Try this link:<br /> http://www.biggerhammer.net/mercury/factory_manuals/Service_Manual_Index.html