inherited motor SOS!

nighthawk55123

Recruit
I just bought a boat, motor and trailer from my sister that has been out of the water for about 4-5 yrs. It's a 16 ft crestliner nordic with an 85 hp merc ser. # 4297092. Everything I know about maintaining and tuning up the motor I can write on my thumbnail. If anyone can give me the correct year the motor was made and any helpful suggestions to get the boat and motor running again would really make myself, (and more importantly, my wife) happy. Thanks in advance for the help!!

IBFishing

Seaman
Re: inherited motor SOS!

Welcome :) <br /><br />It looks like your engine is a 1975 model. Since it has been sitting for quite a while I would do the following:<br /><br />-Make sure all fuel lines are clean and replace as necessary.<br />-Clean all carbs thoroughly (it would be a good idea to rebuild them while your at it.)<br />-Rebuild fuel pump<br />-Replace spark plugs<br />-Check for spark<br />-Check compression (all cylinders should have no more than a 10% difference in compression readings)<br />-Replace impeller<br />-If you don't have a manual, get one....you will need it!<br /><br />This should get you close and if I'm missing anything, others should chime in and straighten me out! :D

nighthawk55123

Recruit

Thanks for the advice, IB...It just so happened that aq couple of my buddies stopped by after this posting and guided me through the intricasies of getting the motor running.After sticking the muffs on and getting it primed, the motor cranked up after a couple of tries. Everything seems to be working as it should. The plugs were cleaned with a wire brush and only the #1 plug had some slight carbon build-up on it. The impeller seems to doing good, also, as it was peeing shortly after start-up. Now all I need is some recommendations for re-covering the lounge seats, i.e. what kind of material I need, estimated cost of getting them re-covered ( a ballpark figure will do). Also, does anyone know of a place where i can get the canvas weather top replaced? I have all the original pieces, complete with zippers and snaps intact so they can use it as a template... Thanks!!!

btatum

Seaman Apprentice

hey mikey!<br />just as a precaution i would replace the water pump impeller if it was sitting for a while. its made of rubber and it will get hard and brittle with age. sometimes working well at idle but not provide enough water to cool the engine when running 1/2 throttle or above. its not hard to drop the foot and change and is cheap compaired to a engine repair or breakdown.<br /><br />i learned it the hard way (or hard headed way)

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

As for the seats check Iboats megamall, Cabelas, and other sources for lounge seats - you might find it cheaper and easier to replace them if you're not going for an exactly original. There's a lot of colors, designs and price points.