Bet no one can answer this

Bobtf2

Cadet
I have a small Johnson outboard with the following numbers on it: J 15 and J 37192. <br />J 15 is on the transom mount and J 37192 is on the rope start top. What year model and horsepower is this engine?

ob

Admiral
Re: Bet no one can answer this

Well J15 off of the transom bracket sounds like at least part of a Johnson model number.If so that would make it a 15 hp engine.Are there any numbers/letters after the J15??

Dunaruna

Admiral

Could be a 1.5 HP, maybe?<br /><br />Aldo

Bobtf2

Cadet

ob, This engine is way to small to be a 15 horse. The "J 15" has no other numbers or letters on the transom mount preceding or following as the transom mount is very clean and easy to read. The " J 37192" on top of the rope start circle is stamped in between "Ind." and "U.S.A." as in "Southbend Indiana U.S.A.". I hope this may help. Thanks.<br /><br /> Bobtf2

Bobtf2

Cadet

Aldo, I think you may be closer to the correct horsepower. I have been told that this engine was manufactured sometime in the 1920's, but I have no way of knowing for sure. Thanks.<br /><br /> Bobtf2

Laddies

Banned

My book lists all J engines about 1.5 hp in 1925 to 32, a J 25 at 1.5hp and as late as 1935, J 80 is 1.7 hp, but don't list a J 15

Bobtf2

Cadet

laddiesservice, I saw the same numbers on a web site and have not seen the "J 15" on any of the web sites lists. There is a decal on my engine that lists patent dates, the last patent date listed is "1924", and then it has "patents pending" listed after that. Thanks.<br /><br /> Bobtf2

Paul Moir

Admiral

Sure it's not a J-75, 1934 1.4hp?<br /><br />I can't seem to find this one either, except that it's very early. If that's the serial number stamped into the top, then it's in 1926. The only models from that year are A-25, AB-25, J-25, P-30, and PB-30. Any hope of a pic? How many cylinders has it got?<br /><br />Definitely tricky! Welcome to Iboats!<br />EDIT: I'm starting to think the J-15 is a part number not a model number. It would be consistant with the assumed serial number.

Bobtf2

Cadet

Paul Moir, I do have some pics I could e-mail. I am unsure as to whether I can post them on this site, but I will try. The number on the transom mount is positively "J-15".<br /><br /> Bobtf2<br /><br />It has one (1) cylinder

Paul Moir

Admiral

You have to host them at a another site like:<br /> http://xs.to/ <br />or<br /> http://tinypic.com/ <br />Then, link them here. If you would like me to do this, email the pics to me at:<br />paul.moir@ns.sympatico.ca<br /><br />I belive the original serial/model number would have been on the tank. I take it this is no longer true?

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe... Just maybe... it isn't an outboard at all. Didn't Johnson and Wearever have a "joint venture" for blenders?<br /><br />Or... it's a motor that was built in Terre Haute.

Bobtf2

Cadet

Paul, I just e-mailed you the pics of the Johnson outboard. Hope you received them. Feel free to post them where ever. All information I get will be appreciated. Thanks.<br /><br /> Bobtf2

Paul Moir

Admiral

Here it is:<br />
1trf34
<br /><br />And here are some other views:<br />Transom Mount<br />Front<br />Flywheel <br />Serial<br /><br />That looks a lot like a J series to me. Have a look at the photo on the left here and tell me what you think:<br /> Click here.<br /><br />I've seen a pic of a J-70 ('34) and it has it's gas cap moved to the center. So I suppose it must be earlier than that.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That engine matches my pic of the J-25.<br /><br />Fuel cap placement is the same, Every feature matches, right down to the tube that comes out of the shaft housing above the AV plate.<br /><br />I think it is a J-25. That would make it a 1925-1932 engine.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Bobtf2

Cadet

Paul & JB, thanks for your help, this gets me a lot closer than i was, wish mine looked as clean as the one in the picture....Bobtf2

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, that's a J-25 or thereabouts. You can get a 1922-1964 Johnson manual on CD at www.acmeoutboards.com. Hope the admins don't pound me for listing a site link. One thing good to know about these vintage motors, specially the Johnsons: their water pump relies on forward motion through the water to pull in water for cooling so they shouldn't be run for long in a barrel if you are testing them...might fry something. Spend some time restoring it...you'll be glad you did. They are fun to own and run...specially if you have little guys/gals to take fishing in a vintage boat.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I just found out that 1926 was the last year Johnson made any engines in South Bend. So it seems like the serial number -> year ID is accurate.<br />Here's the source:<br /> '22 - '37<br /> '22-'50<br /><br />So it looks like you win the bet - it's taken nine of us already. :)

Bobtf2

Cadet

Paul,Tim, Many thanks guys! Prior to finding this forum, which is excellant, I was very discouraged as far as ever finding out what motor I had. I am thinking of restoring this motor. I am also considering building a small wood boat as I enjoy woodworking as a hobby and have many tools available. Again appreciate all the help I got from this forum!<br /><br /> Bobtf2