1994 Mercury 175- Tach not working

NYLaguna2100

Cadet
Hello,<br /><br />I've checked the send wire and it is getting current right up to the tach and I've installed a brand new tach. What is causing this not to work. Does this motor have a voltage regulator. Someone told me to check the rectifier and voltage regulator. The volt gauge is showing 12 or so volts and rises when the throtle is raised. How should I go about trouble shooting this. Any thoughts, much appreciated. Chris

KCLOST

Commander
Re: 1994 Mercury 175- Tach not working

Send wire connected to the rectifier?<br /><br />Pole settings on the tack set correctly for your engine?

NYLaguna2100

Cadet

Hey KCLOST,<br /><br />Yes, I set the new tach exactly how the old one was. I actually verified that the old tach worked by testing it with jumper wires off the motor. I will have to double check that the send wire is attached to the rectifier. If it is, would you say the rectifier is bad. Anyway to check it and where exactly is it located. I am pretty mechanical, so any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

KCLOST

Commander

Well, Assuming that the sending wire is attached to the correct location (rectifier)... No that does not mean that it is bad...<br /><br />You may still have a pole setting problem on the new tach.. Check the listing information on the pole settings for your "new" tach in accordinace with the motor it is hooked up to.. This may be the culprit...