Thread Consolidation (Personal to CC and dunaruna)

Thanks to cooler heads I am going to go ahead with my effort to restore the 1962 Power Cat. The engine ID is now positve, or as positive as can be considering the attrition that over 40 years brings. <br />Dunaruna, I see you are a commander. How does the rate get assigned? I think you are being a bit modest when you downplay your technical capabilities.<br />CC, are you associated with this page in other than a member status. Some people with a lot less published rate felt they needed to council me. You just stuck to the subject. Now that's class. I will be updating my efforts and if I get in too deep there will be a cheap boat on ebay.<br />Incidentally I tried to purchase the first part I need from the host and they couldn't supply it. Scratch Scratch Scratch<br />Ray Chrispens <br />25398 Ave 92<br />Terra Bella, CA 93270<br />voice: 5595355369<br />www.outrageous.net/~backspacer

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: Thread Consolidation (Personal to CC and dunaruna)

The web board assigns "rank" based on your number of posts. It's not an indicator of expertise or connections per-se, just prolific posting. However, according to my parts vendor, I'm currently the most prolific overhauler of inline 6 powerheads on the planet. That little feather allows me to speak "ex-cathedra" regarding the inline 6 - but only the inline 6.<br /><br />As for the need to council you, don't presume I didn't "feel" the need. I just didn't act on it because others had already done so to one degree or another. :D If you re-read your ealier posts with a cool head, you might see how they might be construed.<br /><br />-W

Well, now I am confused. I presume because you didn't and you read things I didn't intend. Perhaps you should have sent this off line. Unless your intention was to further embarass me and garner create a larger controversy. A no response to my post would have better served both me and my detractors. In no way did I want to communicate that you were not fully qualfied. The positive ID is now a matter of history and your input was invaluable. Thanks to Laddies as well. Please understand that I was not comfortable in my attempts to communicate what I had and you can see that until the whole picture was complete there was margin for error. If I offended you directly I apologize. I cannot change what others do, I can only change what I do. Free advice is always worth the money.

Clams Canino

Commander

The problem with a text only interface is that *inflection* is entirely missing and the text stands alone, often to the detriment of the text writer. <br /><br />No you didn't offend me, I just understand how others might of construed what they did. Don't feel hurt or defensive... just move on with grace. :) <br /><br />As for moving on... get the Mercury "1965 and prior" manual and then the damn thing will no doubt raise as many new questions as it answers. <br /><br />Also.... you say that motor is on a power cat? Was that hull designed for twin outboards? You might have to do this all agian. :D <br /><br />-W

I thought I mentioned that I had ordered the manual and a replacement for the broken timing belt. Yes it is a Power Cat and I suppose it could be fitted with twin engines but with a 14 foot hull I don't think I would like to be behind the wheel.

Clams Canino

Commander

With a good helmet and 100mph vest you might like. :D <br /><br />Some of those old cats can reach "Oh my God" speeds with twins.<br /><br />See Larry R. on "John's Old Mercury Board" he has a cat he's put many different twins on. (60,70,80hp)<br /><br />-W

Thanks but no thanks. I have the steering mechanism tore down and trying to repair. I think chinewalkers suggestion to replace maybe the way to go. The manual will probably be here Monday, until then I am just poking around.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by technostupeedo:<br /> <br />Dunaruna, I see you are a commander. How does the rate get assigned? I think you are being a bit modest when you downplay your technical capabilities.<br />
No, as CC pointed out, I just talk a LOT of s**t.<br /><br />If you want to get your posts up, send a damn big check to JB, might work, might not :D :D <br /><br />Aldo

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

This is how I gain rank

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, and my rank isnt the only thing that thinks I'm petty. I'm also definitely senior, and some of my drinking buddies call me Chief. Good luck with your project Technospeedo. Sounds like fun.

Liver and learn, but LIVE! My mother always said, when you stop learning you are dead. If prolific is the key to rank I must be pretty rank.

Do not clean keyboard and be online at the same time...........! Ping! See: Need Help Identifying Merc.

Well, the manual arrived yistidie and we've found the steering cable irreperable. Should be able to update middle of next week. The "hired hands" work at their "day job" through the weekend.<br />Dunaruna, perhaps you could contact me off line for technical instructions on posting.<br />Ray Chrispens<br />25398 Ave 92<br />Terra Bella, CA 93270<br />www.outrageous.net/~backspacer

Clams Canino

Commander

Ray, the modern Teleflex sterring gear will easily adapt to the old inlines. the only caveat is money. BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand<br /><br />-W

Thanks CC, We have the thing about ready to crank. Any words from the ancients, you too cc, on proper procedure, eg set this to that, cover your ears.......Oh yeah, the carburetor intake has no ("breather"} air cleaner. Dunaruna your 2 cents is always appreciated, be if you speak tongue in check be careful you don't bite off more than you can chew....;-)

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

actually no outboard has a air cleaner , only the later model's have a "silencer Box"<br />..<br />the old ones make a "sweet sound" but peoples didnt like it ..hard to hear the stereo..heh<br />so on goes the silencer box .<br />if they would actually put "aircleaners on ..the the "rebuild guys" would go out of business..<br />Hmm, imagine no more "mud dobbers" in the carbs.<br />and if ...just if they put a radiator on outboards ..<br />then the darn thing would never break ..<br />hmm 2005 , and still with 1930 lake cooling ..dumb<br />like a fox ..sell ya new one ..

Just wanted to check on oil ratio's as I am going to try and fire the recent acquisition. Have the oil ratio requirements changed in the last 50 years. Thru exhaustive research we have determined we are working on a 700E direct reversing engine. For this vintage motor are we correct in assuming that the fuel mix is 50-1? :D <br />How am I doing now?