Jack Plate/Hole Shot

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class
Question:<br />I added a 6" jack plate which helped handling and top end but hurt my hole shot, made it seem a little more sluggish. Without the plate, hole shot is much stronger but I get porpoising, less range of trim, handling and top end aren't as good. I'm using the same prop.<br />Is this usually the way it works, a trade off?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Jack Plate/Hole Shot

One gets better and one gets worse. Can you retrim the engine to a point where you can live with both? It would also help the guys that are experts in this field to know what engine and boat size you are talking about. Also give the numbers off of your prop if you can.

imported_JD__

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Jack Plate/Hole Shot

It is an '03 Tracker Avalanche, a stretch-formed aluminum hull. The boat came w/ 115 Merc 2-stroke would do around 46 mph. I replaced it with a new Johnson/Suzuki 4-stroke. Tried several props and settled on a Stiletto 14"X 24 P ss. Runs around 50 mph.<br />Although the boat is an all-weld with no rivets and a very good looking, stable and "fishable" boat, there is slight rippling of the hull where the internal ribs/crossmembers are welded from inside. The hull bottom is actually 2-piece with a weld running down the keel and has a stepped transom. The boat is rated for up to 175 hp.I more recently found out the boat weighs 1500# rather than the 1380# Tracker previously advertised at their site.<br />Tracker recommends positioning the motor all the way down on the transom. Even at this height, the anti-vent plate is almost 3" above the keel. Raising the engine with or without the plate helps hole shot but the prop ventilates on top end.<br />I am very pleased with the Johnson engine, w/300 hours it has been great, runs as quiet as a sewing machine, starts idles and runs great year 'round.<br />I suppose I'm expecting too much. To get the performance I want, I feel brute HP is what I need.