How to disconnect the shift shaft?

saumon

Lieutenant
Hi everyone,<br /><br />first of all, please excuse my english, cause i'm french speaking (Canada), but i'll do my best.<br /><br />I recently bought a 1987 Mercury Sailpower 210cc (8 hp) serial #0b119512 with a long shaft, manual start and tiller handle shifter.<br /><br />I want to drop de L/U for water pump maintenance (i already do it on a Merc. 60 hp and a Mariner 4 hp), but it only drop approx. 2 inches and seems to be holding by the shift shaft. There's no rubber plug on the exhaust housing to split it. <br /><br />My question is: is it splined halfay and stuck? )In this case i should give it a little hammer shot). Or do i need to disconnet it upward into the cowling just under the carburetor? (There's a cam that rotate and the shaft seems to be connected with a pin).<br /><br />Thanks for your input.<br /><br />Steve

KCLOST

Commander
Re: How to disconnect the shift shaft?

If you can't see a lower and upper connection it must be one entire shaft meant to be disconnected at the top...<br /><br />Here is a link that illustrates your engine.<br /><br /> lower unit

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: How to disconnect the shift shaft?

Thanks KCLOST, but i've already seen it. If you give a look at this one<br /><br />Shift linkage <br /><br />you can see in the parts list that both versions (1-piece shift rod and 2-piece shift rod) exist. There's just a slight difference in the cam lever between them. I'll give a closer look to try to determine which one it is.