What causes water to get in lower unit?

Baybum

Cadet
I frequently change the oil in my lower unit. Today I discovered it was contaminated with some water. It's a 25 hp Merc. that is only three years old. What might be the cause ?

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: What causes water to get in lower unit?

bad seals<br /><br /><br />get a lower unit seal kit from your dealer. its pretty cheap.<br /><br />also, get a manual before you try replacing them.<br /><br />your dealer has these too

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check for a bent prop shaft ..

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

make sure you have the little gaskets on the vent & fill plugs there & in good shape.

mcdgary

Seaman

Since the motor is only 3 years old and assumming you have run it moderately or less and you have changed the oil previously it may well be as the last post reply - vent and/or fill plug. Last year when I changed my lower unit oil I inadvertantly forgot a teflon washer on one of the plugs. Luckily I checked my oil after my 1st outting after that. I flushed all out and redid the change with the teflon washers (gaskets) that time. Good luck.

Baybum

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I found the proper washers at Boater's World and I've flushed and drained everything twice. I am putting it back together today and hopefully this will solve my problem. *I did discover that I had somehow not installed the teflon washer on the lower screw last time. Didn't know such a little oversight could cause such a big result!

Coolmaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many people have ruined many lower units from a simple oversight such as that one.