water in LU help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greydog

Cadet
i have a 150 xr4 merc. that has gotten h2o in the foot. Yes I am sure it is H2O. Should I buy the whole kit and reseal it or should I just reseal say the H2O pump and drive shaft. I have never taken a LU apart before. Can I put muffs on it for say 5-10 minutes in the yard and see if it is the pump. I posted before and didnot get any response. Thanks in advance for the help. Are Sierra seal kits any good?

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: water in LU help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slow down Greydog. You need to be sure where it's leaking before you just go chucking parts at it. Well you could, I guess, but I like to save the money for gas!<br /><br />Have you replaced the seals on the fill and vent screws? That's the first place to start. They are under a buck, too. Sometimes you'll find there are more than one stacked on top oif each other. Make sure there's only one per screw hole.<br /><br />Does it leak any gear oil when parked and motor tilted down? If not, prop shaft is probably good.<br /><br />After this I would drain and remove the lower unit and pressure test. It's actually quite easy. Go buy a new tire valve stem. Like the tire shops install in your rims when you get new tires. Carefully trim the large rubber end to fit into the fill or vent hole on your LU. Make sure it fits snugly. Very carefully, inflate the LU to 7-10 psi. No more. Take a spray bottle filled with soapy water and hose down the LU. You can also submerge if desired. You'll find the leak quickly. It will either be the drive shaft, shift shaft, or prop seal.<br /><br />While apart, I'd throw in a H2O pump kit unless you've done it within the last few months.

Greydog

Cadet
Re: water in LU help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks sangerwalker. I will proceed in that direction.