need help on fuel pump rebuild

dandeluxer

Cadet
need help on fuel pump rebuild

I Love this forum you guys on here seem like you really know your stuff !!!<br />I have a 1988 75 hp 3 cylinder mariner outboard and my motor keeps starving for fuel it will stay running as long as my friend keeps pumping the ball on my fuel line.. Laddies and other guys told me i need to rebuild the fuel pump on it. Please note i have never worked on an outboard before EXCEPT FOR A TUNE UP AND MINOR REPAIRS. but i am mechanically inclined ,i do a lot of auto mechanic work...where is the fuel pump? Is it the first thing after the fuel line ports mine has a sqare looking thing with 4 screws on it and 2 lines going in and it says on it In and out where the lines are in and out... is that the fuel pump ? can somebody show me a drawing or a diagram on where my fuel pump is and is it a tough job for a mechanic to get off and rebuild? i want to rebuild this myself ... kits are only $11.00 i have rebuilt lots of parts on cars and machinery at work.. could somebody steer me in the right direction on this project so i can get out and do some serious fishing real soon . <br /> Thanks in advance , Danny C. ST. LOUIS MO.

Laddies

Banned
Re: need help on fuel pump rebuild

Dan, that square thing is your pump if you look closely you will see that 2 of the screws (bolts) hold the pump to the engine, remove the lines first and then the 2 attaching screws, take the pump and disassemble it carefully, there are 2 springs in it watch they don't fly on you when you remove the other 2 screws, note the position of the gaskets and diaps. an assm in reverse order, the only trick in the whole deal is after installing the ck. valves you will have to trim the ends off the retainers with a pair of dikes or clippers so they don't rupture the new diap.---Bob

dandeluxer

Cadet

BOB, <br /> Thanks SO MUCH !!!<br />I just ordered the diaphragm kit .I hope i don't sound too stupid .. I FIGURED THAT HAD TO BE THE PUMP.. THANKS SO MUCH BOB!!!! <br />DANNY C.