Oil Tank Pressure

roro20776

Recruit
Hello from newbie,<br /><br />I have purchased my first boat and need some advice. (the previous advice was not to buy a boat......lol, but, i couldn't help myself)<br /><br />Anyway, I have ran the boat a couple of times and all seems well except one thing. My starboard engine doesn't seem to want to pull oil from the onboard tank under the center console. I have twin 1999 Merc 250 EFI's with about 420 hrs on each motor.<br /><br />How I first noticed the problem was the dreaded 3 alarm system. (good system...bad when you hear it though)I shut down the motors and opened the the cowling and noticed that the resevoir on the motor was half full. I filled the resevoir back up and fired the motor back up and walla...no alarms. Then later in the day the alarms went off again and so I immediately checked the resevoir and again half full.<br /><br />It seems that the motor is getting oil ok but, it is not pulling it from the tank under the center console???<br /><br />Any ideas how and what might be wrong? Any help would appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks so much,<br /><br />Bob

roro20776

Recruit
Re: Oil Tank Pressure

Great I will check it out. Does this mean that generally the gearing for the pressure in the engine is ok??? because it is getting oil from the resevoir on the block?<br /><br />Thanks

LubeDude

Admiral

The main tank is Preasureized from the engine. Check and make sure you do not have a crip in the line from the engine to the tank or posibly a bad hose.

gss036

Commander

Yes, that should be ok if oil is getting to the engine. The pressure system is totally seperate issue. Like LD said, check the hoses, there are 2 of them and they have check valves. One comes off the engine block and the other one feed the tank on the engine. Check the oil pick up tube in the boat tank and make sure the screen is clean. The boat tank should hold pressure for about 10 minutes after shut down and depressurize, it should not be bulging though.<br /> http://www.biggerhammer.net/mercury/factory_manuals/ Check the manual.

roro20776

Recruit

Great! I will check it out this Sat the 14th.<br /><br />Thanks alot for the advice. I will check back over the weekend with my find.<br /><br />Bob

Coolmaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the engine running, loosen the cap on the tank on the engine. It should fill up and over flow. <br /><br />If not then the pressure hose feeding the main tank is not working properly. Ie: kinked hose, hose has a hole in it, or the check valve in the engine crankcase is bad. (Taking for granted that the main tank has oil in it and that the top on it is tight and the screen on the pickup tube is clean)<br /><br />If it does fill up, make sure the cap on the engine tank is not cracked.<br /><br />Cheers...

roro20776

Recruit

Well it works!!! Wohooo! Thanks so much for the advice and help. It seems that the filters were a little clogged and so I removed the crankcase valve and the tank filter screen and cleaned them and it appears to be working fine now.<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Bob