What to buy, Johnson 8 hp 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

mtcamp

Cadet
I wish to buy Johnson 8hp, 2 stroke or a 4 stroke, but don’t know which one.<br />I have two basic needs in a motor. <br />(1) The slowest possible speed; Which one operates at idle with the slowest forward movement? Does the prop selection will make a difference with this small of a motor.<br />(2) Sound; Which one is the quietest at idle? And is there any real, noise level, difference?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What to buy, Johnson 8 hp 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

That's a tough one, MT.<br /><br />Both of those engines idle like a sewing machine and will put-put along at a snail's pace.<br /><br />The 4 stroke is heavier, so if you need to tote it at all that is an argument for the 2 stroke.<br /><br />The 4 stroke is cleaner, a little bit quieter and uses less fuel, so that is an argument for the 4 stroke.<br /><br />My choice would be the 4 stroke.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

phatmanmike

Captain

but then again, i would choose the 2 stroke, for being lighter, less moving parts, and cheeper.<br /><br />if you plan on using it for trolling, a 2 stroke will still get extremely great milage. very low gas usage on that baby there.<br /><br />but thats just me

JRJ

Commander

I like 4-strokes. Why would anyone want a 2-stroke? Is it the smell?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not all two strokes smell, especially if you run synthetic oil.<br /><br />Heck, my 70 2 stroke doesn't even smoke when I use the cheap oil.