Mariner 50 carb problem?

sylvan160

Cadet
Have an '84 Mariner 50hp outboard- 4cyl, 2 stroke-motor starts easily, but under full throttle has little power and low rpm for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then will suddenly surge ahead to full power and rpms, as if it just blew a chunk of crud out of a fuel line or carb jet. There seems to be no predictable pattern to this, sometimes it doesn't happen and sometimes it runs badly all day. Fuel and fuel filter are clean, adding some carb cleaner to fuel doesn't really seem to affect it much. Any ideas???

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mariner 50 carb problem?

It sounds like the engine is got a switch box going bad try checking the ign. while it's acting up---Bob

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check and clean ignition wiring connections. Check and clean all ground connections. Bad grounding causes all sorts of ignition problems.

sylvan160

Cadet

I was approaching this as a fuel problem, so this is a new angle for me. Will have a look at the ignition side of things and see if I can figure it out. Thanks!

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem and spent a lot of time on ignition diagnoses to no avail. Finally took off the carbs and found gunk in #1, so I was running on two cylinders. Before I did anything, I would take off the carbs and look for gunk. Clean the jets real good and blow out dry. Doesn't take long and is worth the effort. <br /><br />Jerry

sylvan160

Cadet

Jerry,<br /><br />I haven't had the carbs off this motor before, so here's a question for you: Was there a gasket bewteen the carb and intake, and did you replace it when you put the carbs back on? If so, where did you find the replacement? <br /><br />Don

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There should be a gasket between the carb and intake. If the local dealer doesn't have one, get some gasket material at the auto parts store. If the carbs haven't been off in a long time you're better off getting a carb kit and it will have all new gaskets.

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Baitis, easy to cut your own. Be careful when you drop the bowl and expose the float. If an 84'is the same as my 91'the float is just held by a pin, and on mine the pin slid off and the float came loose. If that happens, there is a tiny piston that is hanging from the underside of the float by a wire hook. Just make sure the piston is still hanging there when you re-install.<br /><br />Jerry

sylvan160

Cadet

Thanks all! I'll post again with results when I have them.