Winter Fuel Storage

BULLWARKS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright I've read a lot of posts on this subject but is there a right answer??<br /><br />Boaters World just sent out an e-mail "Protecting your boat from old man winter" and they say <br /><br />"How much fuel should you leave in the tank? It depends on what kind of tank you have. If it's steel, fill it so rust can't accumulate over the winter months. If it's stainless steel, aluminum or plastic, run it as low as possible and dispose of the remaining fuel safely"<br /><br />Well of course I just spent more than $100 to fill my tank! And what happens anyway if you fill a tank that is not steel? Wont you get condensation no matter what the tank is made of?<br /><br />I have a 2005 Crestliner 1850SF what is the tank made of?<br /><br />Man, I think I'll move south!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Winter Fuel Storage

The idea is that by filling the tank,no room is left for condensation inside the tank and there is less of a chance of combustion.Charlie

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I've had equal luck leaving the tanks on my equipment and vehicles completely full and completely empty. <br /><br />If you leave it full use a stabilizer like Seafoam or Stabil and run it a few minutes so that the fuel in the system beyond the tank is also stabilized. <br /><br />If you leave it empty make sure you empty the fuel lines and carb bowl or you'll end up with that lovely green algea-like gunk everywhere.

Moody Blue

Captain

Heres something I just discovered last weekend. Had two tanks of gas stored in the garden shed, one for the lawn mower (empty) and one for the outboard (full). With recent temp swings and rainy weather I found the full tank completely soaked on the outside from condensation and the empty tank was dry on the outside. Food for thought.

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i think its a mistake (the stuff of nightmares) to compare what happens on the outside of a tank with what happens on the inside..<br /><br /><br />a basically sealed tank cant make water.. as for the outside it has a whole sky full of the stuff to play with.. there is quite a difference..<br /><br />trog