So...

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat I just bought probably hasn't been habitually used since Summer of 2003 or Summer of 2004. What do you guys recommened I do regarding the gas that is in the tank?

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: So...

Run it, its fine. Change filters after you start running some fresh gas thru it.

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, it's fine. Top it off if you can with some premium fuel and maybe dump in a bottle of gas dryer. If the tank is full it might be a good idea to syphon out 5-10 gallons so you can add fresh and then dump the rest of the old stuff in the next tank.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Mercrewser:<br /> Run it, its fine. Change filters after you start running some fresh gas thru it.
Now wait a minute guys, :eek: ZMOZ has the best Idea, but we dont know if there is water in the tank or not. Also, likely the carbs at the very least are going to have be rebuilt first. You need to read the Waking a sleeping outboard FAQ.<br /> ;)

Pony

Rear Admiral

My first thought was that the summer of 2004 is only a year ago......and lots of outboards sit that long or about that long when in storage for the offseason. I think we need to know how the boat was stored. If the boat was PROPERLY fogged the carbs may not be an issue at all. How was the gas stored?? If the tank was filled to the top and stabil was added and run through then the gas SHOULD still be good. Now if these things didnt happen then obviosly some work needs to be done before that motor is used. If the tank was partially full with no stabil, then there is a VERY good chance of water being in it, not to mention the gas will be bad. Then ZmOz would be right....the gas needs to be "dryed" and a higher octane gas needs to be added to bring the octane back up to a useable level IMHO

Jeff Quigley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not to 'hijack" this thread but this is a good topic and I have similar questions. My MerCruiser 5.7 was winterized and fogged and it's ready to be put away for the winter. What do you reccommend doing to a half take of gas to ensure proper start-up in the spring? Also, what about the head? It was pumped out but the light indicated 1/8th full. Can it be stored as is?<br /><br />Product suggestions for Gas and Head would be appreciated.<br /><br />Quig<br /><br />--

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You need to be Veeeeery careful. That gas might be bad. Pack it all up and ship it to me. I'll test it all and let you know how well it performed. :D

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not an outboard. It's a Merc I/O. I don't even know how much gas is in the tank. The boat is shrink-wrapped and the engine has been properly winterized by the dealerships mechanic. Can I pour anything into the gas tank to ensure proper gas treatment over the winter?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Holla, Their are several types of gasoline preservatives available. One is called "Easy - to - stor, easy - to - start". These are available in all marine stores and a lot of auto parts store. "Stabil" is another brand. You simply dump in the correct amount for the gasoline in the tank. You are really supposed to run the motor to assure the preservative gets into the carb. If that is not possible, it is stil better to preserve the gas tank contents.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by JeffQ:<br /> Not to 'hijack" this thread but this is a good topic and I have similar questions. My MerCruiser 5.7 was winterized and fogged and it's ready to be put away for the winter. What do you reccommend doing to a half take of gas to ensure proper start-up in the spring? Also, what about the head? It was pumped out but the light indicated 1/8th full. Can it be stored as is?<br /><br />Product suggestions for Gas and Head would be appreciated.<br /><br />Quig<br /><br />--
You'll need to define "winterized and fogged" for us. Was this done by a marina? If so, I'd be REAL surprised if they didn't stabilize the fuel for you, that's standard stuff on even the most basic winterization packages. What did you pay to have done? Ask them specifically to list exactly what they did.

Pony

Rear Admiral

JeffQ - one thing I would probably do regardless of wether or not the fuel was stabilized is fill the gas tank the rest of the way so it is full. then add some more stabil as needed.....this will keep the possibility of condesation away and keep your fuel safe from getting water in it.