150 Merc. Black Max , Alarm Sounding

Cazimere

Recruit
Just put my 1995 Trophy in the water for the first time this year. Had just topped off Oil and Gas. Rode maybe 7 or 8 miles, turned around to return home and the intermitent alarm sounded. I stopped and checked for a leak in the oil tank, fittings, and lines. Engine would die every time i throttled up. Had to return at idle speed. Oil pump is OK. Any Ideas ? Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 150 Merc. Black Max , Alarm Sounding

Welcome to iBoats.<br /><br />The alarm, was it a solid tone, a fast beep, or a slow beep?<br /><br />Solid tone : Overheat<br />Fast beep : oil supply warning. (supply to the fuel pump)<br />Slow beep : Low oil in the external tank<br /><br />Chris...........

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

could the fast beep (bip.bip.bip.bip..) also mean a faulty warning module?

achris

also mean a faulty warning module?
Yes. It could also mean the sensor in the internal oil tank too. That's when we start to do some real troubleshooting, when we know what type of beep we have.<br /><br />Chris........

Cazimere

Recruit

It is a fast beep. But the oil tank was full and the Engine mounted reservoir was full also. And why would it only let me run at idle speed ?

achris

Let's find the source of the alarm.<br /><br />On the port side of the engine is a black electronics box, called 'warning module' or 'Lubalert'. This takes all the signals from the sensors and fires (when required) the warning horn. The box receives signals from the following:<br />1. Level sensor in the top of the internal oil resevoir<br />2. pulses from the sensor for the oil pump shaft<br />3. pulses from one of the coil primary wires on one of the ignition switch boxes (to check that the pump is rotating at the same speed as the engine is turning.<br /><br />Once the module believes there is a fault it will fire the alarm through the tan/blu wire that runs up to the control box. <br /><br />First a couple of questions. Does the module give you the self test beeps when you turn the key on? A sequence of 4(I think) beeps. Does the beeping start only when the engine is running?<br /><br />The next step would be to remove/disconnect each wire in turn until the problem stops. For this I would oil up a tank of fuel (50:1) and run the engine on the flushers. Check that the engine is running on all 6 cylinders. You could find that you have lost a power pack or stator winding that has killed spark that the module uses to check engine speed. That would account for the 2 problems coming to light at the same time.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know what you find.<br /><br />Chris...............

achris

Just re-read your original post and would like you to answer/check a few of things.<br /><br />Does the alarm sound when the engine is idling? Is the engine idling on all 6 cylinders? Do you lose 3 cylinders when you try to increase engine speed (say above about 1200rpm)? <br /><br />Chris..........

blueyes07

Cadet

i have the same problem and the same motor as you. please let me know as soon as you can what this is , ty mike.

blueyes07

Cadet

i had the same problems with the same motor and i fixed it and it now runs great. 1st, bad oil modual and i now premix and 2nd i also could only run at idle and i also cleand my carbs and replaced the fuel filter and all is fine. do these things and i'm sure you will b good to go.