1985 Mercury 150 bogging then dies.

scotttaylor

Cadet
Let me start off by saying that I have read every other post that I thought may apply to my problem and it seems that there are a few others out there that have gone throught the same thing. Mt motor is a 1985 Mercury black max 150 v6 It cranks fine and revs up when in netural. the problems only happen when in the water. It boggs down then jumps as if to get on plane then just dies. I have checked all of the spark plug wires with a spark tester and all cylinders seem to be getting good fire. I have pulled off each wire at idel speed to see if I can here a difrence in the idle but cant tell a thing. I think that it could be the carbs. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for me so that I dont have to pay the high mechanic prices, I am pretty handy just kinda new to outboards. any info would be greatly appreciated

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985 Mercury 150 bogging then dies.

Howdy, Scott.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />Let's move this to Merc Outboard troubles.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: 1985 Mercury 150 bogging then dies.

Sounds like a fuel issue, have someone pump the bulb while you try and get on plane. If it helps, bebuild the fuel pump.