prop wobble

kgorey

Cadet
I recently purchased my boat and noticed that when manually spinning my prop, it has a wobble to it. It had actually broken off a bit of the bearing carrier but I think that is fine. I pulled the prop off and, using the depth end of a digital caliper, checked the prop shaft from the LU housing. I had almost no movement at the shaft. I will get my hands on a dial indicator to verify but has anyone heard of a prop spinning out of round like that (damaged/defective prop hub)? 2001 Merc 75 with a 3 blade 13x21 stainless prop. Thanks.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: prop wobble

I see that quite often with Michigan wheel props in aluminum, but not something merc is known for..???<br />I had a guy a few years back that stored his boat and un-knowingly backed into a toolbox on the floor and the prop blade had just enough pressure against it all winter, to load the hub and cause it to take a set in a position that would make you think the shaft was bent.<br />The prop had just a trace of red paint on it, and that's when we looked in the shed it was in and you could see right where the blade had pushed against the box.

kgorey

Cadet
Re: prop wobble

Walleyhed - That's strange you mention Michigan wheel props. That's actually what this prop is.