Removing Water From Fuel

tcope

Cadet
There appears to be a lot of water in my fuel tank as the water separator becomes full and stops the flow of fuel (at least emptying the seperator appears to correct the problem. I know the best thing to do would be to remove, empty and clean the tank but this would be a real bear. What do you think about diconnecting the fule bulb and pumping the fule back into the tank? This would cycle the fuel through the seperator a few times. Anyone try this before?

skiffer

Seaman
Re: Removing Water From Fuel

The water will be at the bottom of the tank. Stick a piece of clear plastic tubing into the tank till it reaches the bottom then syphon the water out into a clear container. Stop when fuel starts to come out.

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good advise from skiffer. That is what I did. I used and old fuel line with a bulb in the middle. Got most of the water, and the rest was removed by a new gas/water filter over a tank or two of gas. The shop wanted $3-4 a gallon to drain the tank and I had just filled it to 20 gallons.

tcope

Cadet

Thanks for the posts! I was going to install a water separator with the clear reservoir in the bottom but at $50, this was knocked down to plan X. After some reading on water and fuel I wanted to do as you both described but did not know how to create a siphon to pull out the water. Using the bulb is a great and simple way to do this. I will siphon off as much water as possible and then I'm going to add some Fuel-Dry additive. <br /><br />I to don't want to drain the entire 12 gals of gas (but would have if needed). That's about $28 in gas! (6 of which is new) :)

tcope

Cadet

Well, I actually drained the gas into 2 5 gal containers with a hand pump I found from my "work on my own car" days. What cam out first was just plain nasty! I filled a clear water bottle every once in awhile. A first it was about 50-50 water and gas. Then after about a gallon I started to noticed almost no water. Of course, the water sits at the bottom so this was to be expected. I am now going to carefully pump the top part of each container back into the tank. I'm going to leave a good gallon or two in each container to be assured that no water makes it back in the tank. I feel pretty good about this solving my problem. Thanks!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

If you add a little 2-stroke oil to the gas, the water will settle more readily. If it's premix, then it's automatic. If not, just add enough to tint the gas a bit. Shouldn't take more than a few ounces. Helps you tell what's gas and what isn't.

tcope

Cadet

Sorry for the multiple posts but...<br /><br />I'm thinking to myself... why am I pumping this old gas back into my boat? It's worth spening $20 to fill up the tank with gas I _know_ is good. I _know_ the gas I took out is several months old. So I'm off to the gas station!

DHPMARINE

Captain

tcope,<br /><br /><br />I wanted to respond here earlier,but didn't because $$$ seemed to be your issue.<br /><br />Now I am responding because you have seen the light.The new gas will do you fine.<br /><br />DHP