9.8 with a plastic venturi in carb? Oh no!!!!!!!!!!

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bought a motor from this guy. It's a 1985 Mercury 9.8 he stated last time he had it running it ran great. Problem is he said he fixed (not replaced) but fixed the plastic carb venturi. Now I own it and I removed the carb tonight to rebuild it and the venturi is gone. I wanted to replace it also. Now....by pulling the pull start it seems to have very good compression. Will they operate fine without that venturi? I don't know, but I'm going to install one anyways. Here's what I have....I hope it didn't suck the venturi into the motor and do damage.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 9.8 with a plastic venturi in carb? Oh no!!!!!!!!!!

It needs the venturi, it's a dealer only item, but the plus side is I have never seen a engine damaged by one

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class

But did you ever see one come apart and get sucked into the engine? He said he glued it together when he put it back in.

saverio

Recruit

I have a merc 9.8 i believe to be a 1985. my starter recoil jammed and when i took it apart the spring uncoiled! Now i can't figure out how to rewind the spring its driving me nuts!! can anyone please help me?? nothing seems broken, I just can't seem to figure it out HELP!!

Laddies

Banned

saverio, you need to start your own topic