Adding Navigation lights to top of outboard

billybobct

Recruit
I would like to mount a navigation light to the top of my 15HP outboard motor that is hardwired to the engine. Right now I attach a battery operated navigation light by using a suction cup. Does anyone know how to do this?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Adding Navigation lights to top of outboard

Federal Regulations for navigational lights require that the stern white light be 1 meter (~39") above the red and green lights.<br /><br />Mounting a light on the motor cover of a 15hp motor wouldn't be legal.

billybobct

Recruit

What I am thinking about doing is mounting the white rear light on a pole 1 on the outbopard. The pole would be 1 meeter long.<br /><br />The red and green navigation light would be mounted on the bow of the dingy.<br /><br />Does anyone know how to connect these light to the outboard engine so the engine runs the lights rather than having to rely on batteries?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can only do this if the motor has a charging circuit.<br />Most small outboards do not.<br />If it has electric start, it may have a charging circuit.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Many 15s (4-strokes) already have a charging circuit built in. You can tap into that if you have one. Some 2-strokes can have a lighting coil added to do the job, but have to be added as an accessory. You can't tie into the ignition system as there's nothing about them that's 12 volts. Let us know what brand, model, and year, or post the model and/or serial number and somebody here can tell you.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Also be aware - depending on how it might be wired, if your motor ain't runnin, your light ain't burnin. By law, you must have a white light, visible in all directions, when at anchor.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by BoatBuoy: <br /> By law, you must have a white light, visible in all directions, when at anchor.
and additionally you got to have the red/green bow lights when not anchored (drift fishing or ????).<br /><br />If your outboard's not connected to a battery then it most likely doesn't have a charging circuit, since running an alternator without a battery will smoke the circuitry (there could be exceptions; anybody who knows of any please speak up). <br /><br />If it's electric start you almost certainly have an alternator on your 15hp (or can probly add one) - you can tell by checking the battery voltage before & after running at WOT for 5 or 10 minutes the voltage will be higher than before you cranked it. If that's the case you can hook it right up to the battery without worry, it'll still charge the batt. Anyway a 2.5-watt bulb only draws 0.2 amps.<br /><br />My friends who fish at night tape a flashlight topped with a styrofoam cup to the stern light standard to avoid draining the battery while fishing.

Trophy23

Seaman

Perhaps one of the new LED lights would drain far less power than present bulb. Works great for flashlights I know.<br /><br />"My advise doesn't cost a dime, since it's only two cents worth." :D

phatmanmike

Captain

i did exactly as you are suggesting, i placed my white stern light on top of my mercury cowl hood on my 1976 merc 1150 inline 6. i used the hood as a ground and ran the positive to the switch box, so that as long as the key was on, i had juice to the light.<br /><br />worked just fine.<br /><br />i used a quick connect for the pos wire so i could still take off the hood when needed

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If you want to keep it SIMPLE.<br /> The KISS method....<br />Motorcycle battery (good for hours)....<br />Couple wires/connectors and quick disconnect plug........<br />Look around the plumbing section for a flange to mount the light (you can even make the whole damn light-chrome towel bars and flange will work).......<br />Or just buy a long stern light kit.....<br /> ;)