9.9 or 18. Which would you choose?

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer
I'm torn between which of these two engines to use for the auxillary motor on my fishing boat. :rolleyes: <br /><br />My boat is a 17ft tri-hull with a Johnson 55 on the back. It weighs about 1000 lbs I suppose.<br /><br />I have a 1986 Johnson 9.9 which was going to be the auxillary, but recently I got an old 1966 Evinrude 18 which only weighs a few pounds more than the 9.9. I've worked on the old fastwin and it's running great. I like the idea of all that extra horse power for not much more weight. But it's a 1966 engine! I've also worked on the 9.9 and it runs like a sewing machine, really smooth and quiet.<br /><br />I must admit that apart from the extra horse power, nostalgia is swaying me towards the 18! Plus I can replace the whole ignition system, if I have to, for little cash. :) <br /><br />Hopefully, I'll never need my auxillary, but if I do I want to know I made the right choice.<br /><br />Which engine would you choose, and why?<br /><br />I'd appreciate all opinions.<br />Thanks<br />Steve

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 9.9 or 18. Which would you choose?

How much is "a few pounds", Steve?<br /><br />I have had and used both and my recollection is that the 9.9 was smaller and quite a bit lighter than the old 18.<br /><br />I think I would go with the 9.9 for the smaller size in either case.

silenscurator

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have to agree with JB, not only will it save a few pounds, but it can also come in handy as a trolling motor if it's as quiet as you suggest.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

The 9.9 weighs 77 lbs and the 18 weighs 84. I don't do any trolling, although I suppose I could always start ;o)

walleyehed

Admiral

For starters, the older 18HP isn't going to push the boat any considerable measure faster than the 9.9HP, but the fuel economy is going to be better on the 9.9.

Paul Moir

Admiral

For me, quiet would be a big plus. Good for creeping around at night when you don't want to run the 55hp. When you want to go fast & make noise, there's the 55hp.

D

DJ

My vote goes for the 9.9.<br /><br />Although, with care, the 18 is just as reliable, you don't need twice the power. You'll be at displacement speeds only anyway.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all your opinions. It's looking like the 9.9 so far then ;o)

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

LOL ;o) Yes, I'd like to keep them both, but one of them has got to go.<br /><br />I was hoping that the 18 might just get my boat planing. It planes at around 12-13 knots. If it won't do that, I'll probably end up keeping the 9.9.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I dont know what boat you have but in an auxilary position I dont think your motor will reach far enough to run at planing speeds.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Lets see - - a tri hull as in three - - seems that should call for three motors -- - - hmmm - - - 55 + 18 + 9.9 = 82.9 hp - - - that should run quite nice.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

LOL at SoLittle ;o)<br /><br />The auxillary will be on a drop down bracket, so the prop will be as deep as my main engine prop when the bracket is down. As the boat is a tri-hull, it doesn't take much to make it plane as it sits pretty high in the water.<br /><br />I suppose the best thing to do is try them both out on the boat and see which one performs better.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Isn't the 9.9 a considerably smaller package than the '66 18hp? If it don't stick up too much over the transom in the storage position that's not an issue anyway.<br /><br />But what about balance? Putting one on either side of the 55 seems like would be safest course of action. ;) <br /><br />Too many outboards? This guy is really complaining about having too many outboards? Could somebody please 'splain that concept to me?<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by steviecops:<br /> LOL ;o) I was hoping that the 18 might just get my boat planing. It planes at around 12-13 knots.
Yep, WITHOUT THAT 18 SITTING ON THE BACK END! Toss that anchor on the back floor just for kicks, THEN see when it planes. <br />My take? 9.9 hands down, and buy another boat for the 18...(how the heck do you think I ended up with 4 boats?)!! :D

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

I like it Robby6950, another boat. Now why didn't I think of that? Not sure the wife would like it though ;o)<br /><br />Thanks for all your opinions, I've decided to keep the 9.9 and sell the old 18. It saddens me to do it because I was so pleased to get the old girl running. 1966 was a good year too. England won the world cup, 4-2 against Germany!

Paul Moir

Admiral

One last thought - just because the 9.9hp is the logical choise, doesn't mean it's the right one. ;) <br />Who said boating had to be practical anyway? Do whatever would make you happiest.

steviecops

Chief Petty Officer

I'll have to find an excuse, and a dark corner, to keep the old 18hp! Nostalgia is a terrible thing!<br /><br />I do have an old 1958 3hp lightwin that I want to restore, so that might take my mind off the 18hp ;o)<br /><br />I know! I'll look out for an old 9.5 or 10 Johnson or Evinrude. They must be as light as a feather if the old fastwin is anything to go by, and I'll still get to use an old motor!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by steviecops:<br />[QB] I'll have to find an excuse, and a dark corner, to keep the old 18hp! Nostalgia is a terrible thing!QB]
I'd pickle it and find a corner. The money is not enough to sell, and when down the line you need work done one of the OTHER motors, and see the PRICE OF PARTS/LABOR...well, thats when you drag the old girl back into the daylight! Good luck......