Merc 200hp iginition troubles

daninhouston

Recruit
Hi all:<br /><br />This board was very help with an Evinrude problem I was having.<br /><br />This time I am working on a 1983 Merc. All of a sudden we lost the spark in cylinders 2;4 and 6 - port side.<br /><br />I am thinking the switch box. Any other thoughts?<br /><br />thanks!!<br /><br />daninhouston

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Merc 200hp iginition troubles

It could also be the trigger.<br />It's not as common as the switchbox, but it could also cause the same symptoms.

Laddies

Banned

Each trigger winding supplys two cyls, one on each bank Your problem is a stator or switch box either ck the stator with a DVA for output or swap the red and r/white, the blue and the b/white wire at the switch boxs and if the spark goes to the other bank you have a bad stator, if it stays the same you have a bad switch box---Bob

daninhouston

Recruit

Looks like it is a bad stator. The leads feeding the inboard switch box (cylinders 2;4 and 6) has an open.<br /><br />Now I just have to find a stator.<br /><br />Thanks Rabidfish! This is an excellent board.<br /><br />daninhouston

daninhouston

Recruit

Laddiesservice,<br /><br />Thanks for the confirmation on the stator.<br /><br />daninhouston

KCLOST

Commander

Your going to have to pull the flywheel to pull off the stator... Don't mess with the trigger!!!! Get a manual!...

Laddies

Banned

Dan, I would highly recommend a Rapair stator over any other electronic parts--Bob