Cooling problems maybe???????

256Dusky

Recruit
On my 1996 merc 225 efi Last week while running it in the river I noticed that there was water and exhaust gasses and stem coming out of the top of my drive shaft housing between the top motor mounts. Called my buddy that is a merc mech. He said blown exhaust gasket just replace the both. So I did and now it is worse. Running it on the hose today it has minimal water coming out of the prop and it fill’s the drive shaft housing up until flows out the drain holes behind the lower motor mount covers. And after 10 or so minutes of running the mid section housing started to get real warm to the touch ad then a couple of minutes later there was steam coming out of the housing just above the anode a lot of steam. And the pee stream as almost to hot to put your hand under and it has never been like that. I am an ase certified car mech. And I have the manual for that motor and read it well before I tackled the job The 2 gaskets that I replaced were the power head to adapter plate gasket and the adapter plate to center section gasket. Also last week when I noticed the leak for the first time it sounded a lot louder that normal but ran like a champ. It had been sitting for 4 months before then but started every couple of weeks. I had 4 people look at it today and they had a dumbfounded look on there face and each one said that they have never seen that before. So any help or advice that any one can give me would be GREAT. I did everything just like the manual said so I am 99.99% sure that I made no mistakes but I may have. If any needs to pick my brain we could talk to each other on the phone or what ever is needed. Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Oh yea I am a newbie here and so far I have found this fourm to be a very good one.

Re: Cooling problems maybe???????

Pretty sure you'll have done the basics water pressure test, thermostats etc. Comp check the head for head gasket probs. I've seen 150 & 175's with this and a slight blockage in the pipe means water will flow but not at required rate. There's a small rubber fitting in the adapter plate which is prone to distorting, mainly on the smaller engines but does occurr. Your local freindly merc dealer will have a water pressure gauge to plug into your head!! :p