Alternator?

JCSkeeter313

Seaman
I was wondering if someone could tell me if my motor has an alternator. SN# OC185373 1989 175HP Mariner. thanks for the info.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alternator?

Not so much an alternator,but by defininition a rectifier/regulated charging system.A charging system none the less,and a pretty functional one at that.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Does your question mean that your battery isn't charging? That's possible. There should be two regulators sandwiched between the exhaust cover and coil mounting plate. If you ever connected the battery backwards, even for a second, they're dead. Loose and/or corroded battery leads can also cause failures. If you have a tachometer and it's not working, that's a frequent indicator of a failed regulator.

JCSkeeter313

Seaman

basically i am wondering if i can hook up one of those systems that pulls the charging off the alternator and puts it to the trolling batteries. had anyone ever herd of the charging system thaqt runs off of your truck while your towing and what is it called thanks

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had thought about what you want to do and decided it was best to buy a battery charger. I keep the boat in my garage, and hook up the charger to the trolling battery when I come back from fishing, and it's charged by morning. I was afraid of messing with the main battery...blowing the rectifier/regulator if not done correctly.<br /><br />Jerry

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it is called a "stealth" <br />look it up on the web