90 Mercury 2 Stroke (Bad Stater ????)

saltywater

Recruit
I have a 1996 Mercury 90, 2 stroke, 3 cyl outboard that has been giving me a real fit. Each time I run it the motor screams like a scalded dog until it warms up, perhaps an hour or so of on again off again running. Then it happens, the motor just starts to lose power. Either I cannot get on plane because the rpms remain below 3000, or the boat planes and the rpms surge up a down by several hundred rpms. Here is what I have done so far:<br /><br />All new fuel, new filters, and new hose (this includes the water separator and the engine block fuel filter)<br /><br />New sparks plugs (compression is perfect on all three cylinders)<br /><br />Every time this has happened, I have made sure fuel is flowing to the motor and the carbs appear very clean.<br /><br />My quandry is that I would have to pay a dealer to ride around in the boat for an hour or so in order to duplicate the problem. If these symptoms are indicative of an electrical problem, it would have to be a component that heats up slowly with the engine and then malfunctions once the engine heats up. I forgot to add that the motor always starts perfectly and idles flawlessly, even when it will not run corrctly at higher speeds. I have heard "stater" mentioned, but I'm just not sure. In any event, I figured I could replace several components for that same amount it would cost me to have the dealer take a joy ride. I :( would greatly appreciate any input you may have. Many thanks!<br /><br />Bill

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 Mercury 2 Stroke (Bad Stater ????)

what color is the stator ?