Merc 115 Straight 6

Peter W

Recruit
I have a problem i am losing power and the motor dies at about 2\3 throttle.I have just cleaned all three carbs but still no good could this be wrong mixture screw settings if so can anyone help with setting for all three cabs as it is driving me up the flaming wall.

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 115 Straight 6

If you use the "Search function" I think there is a detailed description of the process for setting idle mixture settings. As a general rule, each screw should be about 2+ full turns counterclockwise from a lightly seated position. Anything under that will usually result in bogging when you open the throttle during hole shot. Also make sure the fuel tank is venting properly and that the fuel pump diaphagm is in good shape as it's only $5-6 to replace.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it dies at 2/3 throttle, the it probably isn't the "IDLE" mixture screws.<br /><br />Have you set the "snych and link" by the manual yet? That's a good place to start. Then, you may have a fuel delivery problem. <br /><br />Try this: As it starts to lose power, push the choke. Does it pick-up and run? <br />Try hooking a 6 gallon portable tank to it. Does it still have the problem? If no, then you have a fuel delivery problem with the tank/pickup/fuel lines/bulb, or somewhere in the boat.<br /><br />If it still has the problem, disassemble the fuel pump, look at the diaphrams/gaskets there, as well as the check valves. (Important) do not re-use them even if they look good.<br /><br />Let us know how you make out...

Peter W

Recruit

I have already replaced fule line,tank also fule filter and fule lines under cover.