hard starting 115hp mercury

docf76

Cadet
I have a 1979 115hp mercury outboard that is hard to start. If it sets for a day I have to pump gas in the carbs with a oil can. The choke works, the primer bulb works, I can here gas being pumped into the carbs. Plugs have been changed. Once the motor is started it runs great for the whole day and have no problem getting it started, barely have to hit the key and it starts. It is a inline 6 with 3 carbs

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: hard starting 115hp mercury

My mid-80's is the same way when cold - not to the point of squirting gas into the carbs, but it's sure cold-blooded!

IBrokeMyFreakinNeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had to jump my 115 battery off of my truck battery while cranking to get my 115 to get going before. Yeah they are real cold starters.<br />Make sure squeeze the primer bulb until it is nice and tight.<br />Try jumping your battery to get more cranking amps and see if that helps.

Laddies

Banned

Try to richen the idle jets 1/4 to 1/2 turn the carbs may have varnished up in the idle passages or the float level is to low

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

DocF76,<br /><br />The I-6's are known for hard starting when cold. Make sure the choke plates fit snug against the carb body. Pump the primer bulb firmly. Tilt the engine down so any gas that gets past the floats will drain into the carbs.<br /><br />It all that fails you can try what I did to mine. Get a 1/4" fuel hose and another primer bulb and tie wrap some squirt nozzles into the carb "screens" so when you use the auxiliary primer bulb you are squirting gas into the carbs.<br /><br />My 1972 model engine starts like a new engine even when cold!<br /><br />Good luck,<br />Gold Bear

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't emphasize enough the need to "prime" the heck out of the fuel bulb. Someone described it best a while back: "There should be an oil slick around the bottom of the motor." That's not too much of a stretch. My 1500 was the same way before I knew the "correct" starting procedure. These motors are just about impossible to flood.

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer

yep, i pump the crap out of my 100hp inline6. anywhere from 6-15 times before it goes hard.<br />cheers

1968_Red_fish_IMP

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 62 merc 1000, it's a 100 hp inline 6. I have to prime then crank and imediately prime pump till good and tight and she fires right up. Initially it will fire and run a few seconds, then have to prime again. I havnt run her on a warm day yet.

Clams Canino

Commander

Yep..... to start them it seems you need to try to flood them. Cold weather makes this MUCH worse. My '88 115 was a beast over the weekend for the cold start. Age of the reeds and reed-blocks also doesn't help. All of the above ideas are good.<br /><br />-W

docf76

Cadet

I carry a battery pack with me on the boat because the battery has gone dead trying to start it. Would turning the idle jets hurt the gas consumption any more, or do these motors tend to drink a lot of gas? The idea of the hose and primer bulb to shoot gas in the carbs sounds good.

KCLOST

Commander

If you squirt gas into the carbs by any method, make sure it is premix. :D

docf76

Cadet

Would to lean or to rich of a gas to oil mixture have a lot to do with hard starting?

Clams Canino

Commander

No.... but lean idle mixture screws would. Also trimming all the way in helps a bit.<br /><br />-W

docf76

Cadet

has anyone heard of a low battery causing this, it has enough to crank but not enough to spark

Clams Canino

Commander

On distributor motors yes.... ADI - no.<br /><br />-W

PACERll

Seaman

I have heard and havent done it yet but I have a 115 Merc as well a 86 or 87. The proper way to get em fired when cold is....Trim all the way under and when you turn the key to run and push in the key to choke that you need to count one thousand one 2 thousand 2 etc all the way to 10 thousand 10. Supposedly this allows the fuel enrichner valve to fill the carbs. Some motors start qith a 3 count or a 5 or whatever. This is what I am told. Havent been able to try mine that way because I cant trim all the way under on trailer (sits to low and hits the ground). Anyway if there is any truth to this please let me know. Thanks for a great site folks and keep up the good work my little pocket rocket (16ft Laser Vhull is almost finished so ya'll watch out)<br /> Dirk

i610288

Seaman Apprentice

Are you using the fast idle lever, mine will not start without using it.I can start mine even on a cold day without the choke easilly, but I have to use the fast idle lever.When I first got mine I had the same problem starting, and it was because of a low battery.I could jump start it from my truck and it would start up right away.Because of the low battery my trigger went out not long after that, at least that's what my mec. said made it go out.

satman7475

Seaman Apprentice

i sure wish someone could tell me how to get mine strated right up. i hate to be in a landing full of peaple trying to put there boat in while waiting on me to get my boat out the way,it takes me about five min or so to get my 90 200hp to start, but like you said once you get it started it pretty much starst easy for the rest of the day, any help would be thankful, thanks.

docf76

Cadet

not sure what you mean by the fuel enrichner. I do use the fast idle lever but not sure what you mean by the trigger

i610288

Seaman Apprentice

The trigger is in the distributor, it's part of the ignition system.I'm no mec. by no means though,so i'm not sure if yours has one, or if that would be the problem.What mine would do was some times it would give fire to only some of the spark plugs, or none of them, and then all of them.I would be on the lake running fine for a while and then it would just stop and wouldn't start.My mec. said that triggers will sometimes fail slowly over time, not always just go out at once.They are expensive and i'm not sure if a person could check them other then checking spark.I have also heard that switchboxes will do the same, sometimes work sometimes not.I am not sure if yours would have one or not also.My experience is with a 1974 115 six cylinder.I know Clams would know he seems to be the expert on these.