Mariner 6hp 1996 starting problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidri240

Recruit
Hello all,<br /><br />I have recently acquired a Mariner 6hp from 1996 which I bought along with a small sailing boat earlier this year. I have seen the motor run and know that it has only run for about 100 hours (laid up for a number of years).<br /><br />Here comes the problem! I can't get the thing started!<br /><br />I have checked the sparks, both plugs OK. I have stripped down the carb, no signs of any varnish or gumming up. Fuel is getting to the carb, no blockages anywhere in the system that I can see.<br /><br />The choke primer appears to work fine.<br /><br />Before my arm falls off, can any of you knowledgable souls help me out with any suggestions?<br /><br />In anticipation......

jeff15svt

Cadet
Re: Mariner 6hp 1996 starting problems

how old is the fuel ? have you tried a light amount of starting fluid ? <br /><br />also you said the plugs looked fine, BUT have you put a spark tester to the motor yet ?

Nidri240

Recruit

the fuel is probably quite old, actually it's over 12 months old. hmmmm perhaps I should get myself to the fuel station!<br /><br />I've not actually tried starting fluid - I have heard that it can damage the motor. Is this true?

DHPMARINE

Captain

Please don't use the starting fluid.I should put it in ALL caps,but I try not to raise my voice here.<br />12 Months is pushing the age of the fuel a bit,but when you say the choke primer appears okay,how do you know ?If it is electric choke,have you tried using manual choke ?<br /><br />DHP

Nidri240

Recruit

It is a manual choke. When the knob is pulled, a small diaphram is pressed which squirts extra fuel into the carb. I have checked this diaphram and there are no rips / tears in it.<br /><br />I will not use starting fluid.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Only other thought I have at the moment.... when you pull the choke knob out,and the plunger goes down,does the link back to the timer base advance?<br />I don't have the specs,but it should be increasing the timing,to give you a faster idle when choking.<br /><br />DHP

jeff15svt

Cadet

yes on a 2 stroke starting fluid should not be used if you dont know what you are doing, but if you are careful with it it can work and be a big help. <br /><br />use it carefully and it can help, only problem is people misuse it, thats why it has a bad rap<br /><br />i work at j&r marine as a mechanic, and i firmly believe it can help when used right

DHPMARINE

Captain

jeff15svt,<br /><br /> I enjoyed your post,and also use lots of chemicals in boat repair.But somewhere I missed info on the starting fluid,and want to know more.<br /> How do you guys apply it ?<br /><br />DHP

Nidri240

Recruit

One thing I don't understand about starting fluid is this: motors are designed to be started from cold without the use of ether or any other additive. If the motor won't start, then there is something wrong somewhere. Surely the use of starting fluid will just hide that fault. In which case, if I start using it I will have to continue using it.<br /><br />I don't think I'm prepared to do this on an engine with so few hours on it. I need to find the reason why the engine isn't able to start and solve that.<br /><br />Giles

Pompeydave

Recruit
Hi all. Ok, I realise straightaway that it's not the done thing to reply to an old post, particularly one that's over ten years of age! However, I do have a good reason. I've now bought the boat from 'Giles' (Nidri240) that he bought in 2005. And yes, it comes complete with a Mariner 6hp of 1999 vintage. And guess what, it STILL doesn't start. Well, it does now start but not in the correct way Mariner intended. After a whole evening trawling the net to try to find an answer, I've stumbled across this thread that Giles began all those years ago.

I'm using fresh fuel, new plugs and have performed another full carb stripdown. I also removed the Reed valve plate and found the petals covered in an orange coloured gunge which I carefully cleaned off, before re-assembly. The primer bulb on the tank is good, the filter is clean and a good flow of fuel goes in to the carb. The float works and the needle is clean and new looking. The jets are also clean. The fuel pump diaphragm is good, and the gaskets between the carb and reed block and reed block to powerhead are also perfect.

The only thing that doesn't seem to be doing anything is the blue primer button. Again, I've had it all apart, and it looks like new inside with no blockages. However, when the blue button is depressed manually, or by pulling out the choke button, I am expecting to see a shot of fuel go into the carb venturi. I don't see anything at all. Does the fuel squirt in behind the butterfly?

This thing is a pig to start whether using the choke/increased slow running/altered timing knob or not. But, if I hold a tissue over the venturi, it starts instantly, suggesting to me that the choke mechanism isn't working. As soon as it's running it will purr all day if I want it to. Let it go cold though and it's no go until I again manually choke it with said tissue.

This is clearly at least a ten year old problem, and I'm determined to fix it. Does anyone have any idea's what's going wrong?

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So you bought a ten year old problem motor. It doesn't mean you can hijack his old thread. Especially after ten years, nothing in this thread means anything anymore. You do not have a good reason to re-open this post.

Start a new thread and start 100% fresh. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.