Prop ?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
1989 Mariner 150 Mag2.<br />Has a 24P Quick Silver on it now but can not use a trim tab on it cause it hits.<br /><br />What size do I need to drop to?<br />I was thinking about a 21 or so.<br /><br />Any ideas?<br />Thanks.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Prop ?

What have we got for a max RPM now????<br />Several different tabs are available for that...

SpinnerBait_Nut

I am running right at 6000 if I am not badly mistaken.<br /><br />The engine torques real hard because the trim tab is off the lower unit and when I bought one to put on it, it would fit ok, but the prop would hit it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

This is what it says on the prop.<br />It's Quicksilver 48 16994<br />A40 24P<br />It has a diameter of 14" if that helps.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I've simply notched them in the past. All 3 blades. :D <br /><br />If that fails, you could just notch the tab. ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thanks WW, but I don't think I want to notch a nice prop like this one is, it's brand new. Was put on at the dealer I got the boat from.<br /><br />I'm thinking I need to go to about a 14X21 so as to slow it down at idle also.<br />Moves way to fast to troll with.

walleyehed

Admiral

21 is fine SBN, as long as you remember it will over-rev real easy...6k is fine, but I don't think I'd push more than that for continuous periods of time.

SpinnerBait_Nut

walleyhead, this is a 13.5X24P LaserII with a hi-pro cup to it. Mercury says for my boat and this engine a 25P is called for.<br /><br />Was thinking maybe a regular 24P SST prop would do the trick cause there is no cup and the blades are straighter.<br />Am I on the right track?<br /><br />As far as the 6K goes, I don't ever run it WOT, so that don't bother me, just like to get it slower when trolling.<br /><br />Also I might try to idle it down some, seems to me if I remember right, it's idling somewhere around 1K in neutral and 900 in gear.

walleyehed

Admiral

Any SS prop (I'm staying away from SST because that's an OMC prop) will have a certain amount of cup. A highly cupped prop vs. moderate cup will show very little if any, difference at Idle.<br />The LaserII has good cup and Rake...the Rake is usually where we get into trim-tab issues.<br />My speed sensor for trolling reads in tenths, and I have to drop 2" in pitch to drop 1 to 1.2MPH (on my 115)...my 200 is pitched high enough if I pitch to troll, when on plane, my effective fuel range would be about 2 hrs worth.<br />My buddy has a Procraft with an XR6, and he uses a 21 to troll, but it will turn about 6300 if he lets it.