Any Verado opinions yet?

Trophy23

Seaman
Re: Any Verado opinions yet?

I think KC may change his mind down the road after the 4/5 cylinder versions come out in a couple of months from what I hear. The present ones are 635-650 pounds so you need a boat that is built for them or can handle the extra weight. My 89 Bayliner 2305 did not change hardly at all from setting one on the back, but it is a deep V walkaround and I can vary fuel level to compensate for engine weight. I've only had my inital river test of the 200 Verado version, but it was very impressive. I think when you add the Hyd steering, DTS, Supercharger and smartcraft the extra couple thou for a potent 4 stroke is a little easier to take. Heck Honda wanted 13800 for their 225 and Merc Verado is only 15200 for 225. The Hyd steering alone is worth the difference, let alone the throttle response. When the 135,150 and 175 versions come out, I think a lot more boaters will be digging into their pockets. But they are selling well now out here in the NorthWest anyway. My dealer had 6 to do in one week while I was there at Christmas time. They have 3 year warranty, 3year corrosion warranty and Merc is offering an additional 3 year extended warranty for total of 6 years. Who else is doing that???

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was able to get up close to them at the New York Boat Show and they are ..... H U G E.<br /><br />I asked some boat manufacturers if they have met their performance expectations and everyone I talked to agreed the Verado is a success and then some.<br /><br />Kevin

KCLOST

Commander

Me being a bass fisherman, it will be a while before most 17-21 ft bass boats can safely handle that size of a motor.... <br /><br />The newer boats may quickly catch up to that weight requirement. But I'm not in the position right now to dish out $40K+ for a boat with a Verado horse on the back... <br /><br />And I'll never purchase the motor for a present day or older bass boat to repower it, because of that weight issue/problem...<br /><br />And to reinterate, I guess I'm the type of guy that believes that a boat, is a good boat unless it leaks, has a bad transom, or is just cracking to pieces... So I try to hold onto it as long as I can... Putting a Verado on a perfectly good 80's to 90's bass boat hull, is most likely a good way to damage a good thing....<br /><br />But for big monster offshore type rigs, that is another story that I won't get into.. It may be perfectly ok in most instances...

gss036

Commander

There are several good discussions over on the Whaler board. One even has a price list for all the new 225 hp engines (4stroke&ETec). No matter how you cut it, they all are very expensive and if you stay boating for a few more years, there won't be much choice. I like what I see with the Verado, but I am leery of the SuperCharger. Fly by wire is becoming the standard in some vehicles for the throttle. Pontiac tried supercharging back about mid 90's and they went away if just a few years. I have no idea why. I will be watching and learning until I need a repower. Hope I have made up my mind by then,hopefully 3-5 years down the road. Time will tell as the new motors build up thier track record.

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

To be a success the Verado has to be a great motor. Im sure Mercury was thinking this when they designed it.<br /> My take on it is, its heavy with lots of moving parts. Expensive to repair, more varibles for things to go wrong.<br /> The ETEC looks like a better idea to me. Fewer parts, lighter. Mecury has the good four stroke reputation to build on. Bombardier has the bad injected two stroke reputation to overcome. I think I would put my money on ETEC. <br /> I think the Etec technology would be cheaper to manufacture allowing a more competive price as the cost of introduction is paid off, making it more profitible for the company of manufacture.