prop removal

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer
im trying to change my prop on my merc 1000. Looks like it has a main prop nut and a tab washer thing also. Ive bent all the tabs up, so there not catching on anything, but what to do next. Do i remove the tabs washer or turn the nut? stupid question i know, but i just cant move it

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: prop removal

To remove the nut, all the tabs should be bent down away from the nut. One or two of them are bent up to keep the nut from working off.

tengals123

ok, done that then do i just turn the nut and both the nut and washer will come off? thanks

tengals123

thanks guys, i just got it off. Actually pretty east job, just didn't want to strip anything or stuff it up. In the last 4 weeks ive learnt so much about this engine, im actually not goping to sell it and upgrade, im keeping her. cheers

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Tengals<br /><br />You are lucky that it came off easy... Some older SW motors have had this task neglected and the prop is seized on. Make sure you use a NEW tab washer, (From JV or The boat shop) grease the splines and check for fish line near the front bearing.... I too am a Melbourne boy :)

tengals123

thanks red, I have purchased a new tab washer fron JV. all else looks good. I last night changed the lower gear oil, I looked a little grey ( maybe water in lower unit) not to sure yet, will give a run on sunday and see how it goes. Thanks for your replies. cheers

tengals123

red, is that your merc 1000 sprayed silver? if so, how'd you spray that donk? cheers

Clams Canino

Commander

Once the tabs are free turn the nut. The tab-washer will turn with the nut. And get a new-style tabwasher when you re-install they are MUCH easier to use.<br /><br />-W

tengals123

thanks guys i got it off no drama. cheers for your help