Mariner 200 runs at idle but won't plane

Dan Freeze

Recruit
I bought a 223 Mako (1997) with a '97 Mariner 200 offshore (carbed) 3 weeks ago. I took it to the local repair shop and had the engine serviced. They changed the water/fuel filter, ran top cleaner thru the engine, and did a complete maintenance cycle. The engine only has 150 hrs. The shop also changed the water pump impeller. I had no water pressure at idle, but after the new impeller I have 3-5 on the dash gage.<br /><br /><br />The first time I put it in the water (yesterday, Sat 2-12) it started, ran 20 sec and quit. I spun it for 10 or 15 min and it would not start. I checked spark--ok, I checked fuel at the engine filter ---ok. I finally tried pressing the tab on a solenoid (starbord side) that appears to connect to the oil sys----It fired and ran. I ran 2 miles offshore and it was running 4500 going easy when it shutdown. I could restart it and run idle speed so I came on in. The only thing I can find that is unusual--The trim indicator on the dash was erratic after it shut me down 2 mi out.<br /><br />Thanks Dan

gss036

Commander
Re: Mariner 200 runs at idle but won't plane

That solenoid is the fuel enrichner, if you push your key in on the ign switch it should activate the solenoid. Sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem. Check to see if the new water/fuel filer filled up with water. Check your primer bulb on the fuel line. Is it sucking down and flattening out? Try running on a 6 gal tank to see if that helps, may eliminate your on board tank as being the problem.,

Dan Freeze

Recruit

Well, the shop found a spark box that was bad. I had it replaced with a used one that works and bought a spare used one. Total bill $210 for two used spark boxes (1/2 price of one new) and they gave me a break on the time: 1.5 hr @ $85.

gss036

Commander

Thanks for the update. Wish everyone would do this.