mariner 25 information please.

parryboy

Cadet
Help!...I have just inherited a 1992 2 cylinder 25hp Mariner outboard. Can someone tell me what oil/gas ratio I should use and tips on cleaning the engine after using it in salt water. Infact any tips atal would be helpful because I realy dont have a clue! parryboy@yahoo.com

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: mariner 25 information please.

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />50:1 is the ratio, 16oz outboard oil per 6gal tank.<br /><br />If you didn't get the owner's manual, that would be a wise investment.<br /><br />Depending on circumstances, a lot of inherited outboards haven't been run much in the past few years. You may need to service the carb. I would also automatically change the gearlube and grease the zerks. Make sure the water pump is working properly (since that's over 10 years old, it would be best to replace the impeller). Invest in a pair of flushettes. You'll need to run fresh water thru the motor after each use in saltwater. If you hose the outside off right away, salt shouldn't accumulate too bad. There are products to clean any residue off if it gets bad enough.

parryboy

Cadet
Re: mariner 25 information please.

Thanks Will....yes, my next task is get hold of the owners manual... any suggestions?