What is the date on this motor?

alogston

Cadet
I have a 50 HP Mercury 500 <br /><br />SN = 7098204<br /><br />If someone could tell me the year I would be greatfull <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Applejaxx

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: What is the date on this motor?

Welcome to Iboats, Applejaxx!<br /><br />I get 1977 for that S/N. Canadian serial number you've got there eh?

alogston

Cadet

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> Welcome to Iboats, Applejaxx!<br /><br />I get 1977 for that S/N. Canadian serial number you've got there eh?
The person that sold it to me said with a serial nomber that high it had to be early 80s<br /><br />I should have done a little research first.<br /><br /><br />Thanks for you help<br /><br /><br />Applejaxx

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

I know it's the principal of the thing.. but a 77 is the same animal as the "Early 80's" inc ignition ss driveshaft and no cyls carbs etc. As long as the compression is consistant, she'll be a good motor.

Paul Moir

Admiral

No trouble at all! I'm with Red205 here - with outboards older than say 10 years, condition rather than age is the overriding factor. Five years here and there aren't going to affect things much. Still though, that was an optimistic guess he gave you.<br /><br />Red205 - Renamed your boat?

Clams Canino

Commander

Decarb it if you don't know the history.<br /><br />-W

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Paul<br /><br />No, I actually am boatless at the moment, due to a few factors. We are moving up north where it's warmer and the type of boat we had does not lend itself to the sand launching facilities. However, the next boat will have another Merc attached to it.. That's a certainty.<br /><br />Red205/Unicorn