Repair 72 or buy restored 62?

tmor51

Cadet
Two part question. My 72 40hp, short shaft, Merc died on the water 2 years ago. First time out that year it started fine. Tried to accelerate and it started coughing and sputtering and losing power and then stopped. Tried to restart and it started smoking and I smelled gas. Wouldn't restart. Shop estimated it needed carbs rebuilt and a new ignition at the minimum - then told me they wouldn't work on it. Another shop would but estimated $900 - $1200 to fix. I have this on a nicely restored 14' 1965 fiberglass boat that I'm very attached to (was my Dad's). I have an opportunity to buy a completely restored 45HP 1962 white merc. It would look fabulous on my vintage boat and would cost much less than fixing the old one. What to do? What are the pros and cons of the two choices? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom in Wisconsin.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: Repair 72 or buy restored 62?

Assuming the older one passes all the tests (compression and otherwise) it sounds like an easier solution. But again, you need to find a tech willing to work on it that knows the older breaker-point ignitions.<br /><br />Also, keep the '72 around and get a manual. You could fix it in a weekend with some cheap Ebay parts if you knew how to work on it. <br /><br />-W

tmor51

Cadet

Hi W, <br />Thanks for the reply. I assume the 62 would need more frequent tune ups due to the old style ignition... is that a complicated process? Are manuals still available?

Laddies

Banned

Most normal parts are still availably for the 4 cyl some are a little pricey, Pts are 40 bucks but they normaly will last 10 years up here and the 4 cyl is alot more engine than the 40--Bob

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

just be aware that the tooling required for some of the old ones is no longer availible. sometime back then it took some speacial tools to remove the water pump cap and the propshaft carrier. I made mine. other than that if the carbs are clean and the fuel pump is new and the cooling system is ok and the ign system is up to par and the mechanical part of the powerhead is ok they were decent engines.

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's easy to give up on the older engines. Parts are sometimes hard to find shops refuse to work on them . They usually tell you the repair is more than the engine is worth . I feel that sometimes they have no clue what they are looking at . Some are scared to death that the sucker will set on the lot for a year waiting on some hard to get part . When it finally gets there the owner wont pay etc. I can see both sides of the equation . I love older engines and have several older boats ( as many as my wife will allow. she sold one while I was out town once) For the last week I was fighting Ignition problems on a 72 125hp rude electic shift. After one more trip to the parts store I gave up. was having difficulty with getting parts . I bought a 200 v6 merc went home pulled my engine. That was last night today around 3:00 got a call 25 dollar donor all parts I needed worked great bought it . Don't be scared to work on your on engine .It might not be a big problem at all . If the motor has good compression it is worth the effort of fixing . All the old mercs I have ever worked on have had crunblig wires bought a 1980 50hp 2 yrs ago that was reported to have only been in the water 4 times the boat and motor looked brand new the prop had never scratched .It was a fourth of july boat The registration ran out the boat then sat for years in a garage . I had to replace every single wire on the motor every one. It runs great. hey it was broke when you started with a little mechanical aptitude it can be fixed . You'll have a couple more grey hairs . some times things won't go right but you'll learn from your mistakes.The motors that give you the most problems will be your greatest teachers. Once you do a few things your confidence builds.I reflect back now how much money I spent having new water pumps installed .If I only knew then what I know now. I still read my manuals and ask plenty of questions. This site is a wonderful place to ask questions somebody usually knows or points you in the right direction.

tmor51

Cadet

So the 45HP engine is more engine because of the extra cyl? and not just because of the additonal 5HP? Another question: the 'ol back is asking if it's difficult/expensive to add tilt'n-trim to either one of these?

Laddies

Banned

It's a lot smoother engine at low speed and is 44 cu. in. basicly the same engine as the 500

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

the '72 does have the better/newer charging<br />system. all things being equal, I'd keep the '72.<br />run the old white girl as long as u can... ;)

Laddies

Banned

Thats about the only thing good anyone can say about a 2 cyl. 40 HP merc--Bob

Clams Canino

Commander

The only real difference in the charging is the rectifier, a new rectifier in the old one will do the same thing.<br /><br />Yes you can adapt the power-trim from later motors to either of these two. But you need to do some homework to get it right, they don't both take the same one. In your case an aftermarket power-trim (sold somewhere here on iboats) would prolly be easier.<br /><br />-W

prolinews

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CMC MAKES A GOOD TRIM UNIT FOR CLAMP ONS PUT ONE ON MY WHALER IT WAS'T TOO EXPENSIVE EITHER . IT WAS ALOT CHEAPER THAN THE FACTORY STYLE . IT WAS A SIMPLE INSTALL AS WELL WISH I WOULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER.