Crunch on going astern

Two problems which may be connected. Purchased a 5.4 RIB complete with 3 year old Mercury F90 ELPT 90 hp 4 stroke last week and took out on Sunday. Everything fine but noticed a lot of slop and vagueness in throttle handle. Managed to ding (Not to badly but still red with embarrassment) the prop and after that gear box (dog clutch?) crunches in reverse only. It crunches both with a slow engagement or a firm engagement. The dinged prop may be a red herring but can someone tell me a procedure to find the fault starting with the engine and working backwards. :eek:

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Crunch on going astern

ok if i read this right, your gearcase is grinding when put in gear and you dinged your prop...ill try to help.......sounds like you need to adjust your cables or replace them..they are probably original and if the boat has any time on it about 2 years is their life with good running....if cable adjustment doenst take away the grind..before you do and more damage it might be wise to get the foot apart and start some inspecting of the gears..clutch dawg,fwd and rev and bearings..your gear oil will also tell a tale of what is happening insode the gearcase...good luck and keep us infoed

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh yeah the throttle may need adjusted too or replaced...usually the cables are done in pairs when replaced

Hi Marinegrp.<br />Thanks for coming back. Could I possibly e-mail you with a request and some pictures? My e-mail is:<br />pm3@speed-mail.co.uk<br />whats yours?<br />cheers<br />Peter (Uk)