Merc 225 EFI 1997 Counter rotation?

boatdemon

Recruit
Does anyone know if you can take a standard rotation 1997 Merc. 225 EFI outboard and operate it with a left hand rotation prop by switching the cables at the helm? If so, Will this cause problems with the lower unit over time if done?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Merc 225 EFI 1997 Counter rotation?

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Counter Rotating gearcases are available and internally different to withstand the different load. Now if you were to use a Counter Rotation as Normal Rotation, I believe that's okay.

marinegrh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

only if you want forward to be reverse and vise versa, the insides are different like the ltcmdr sais

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it will work for a few minutes<br /> then you will get to see the insides of a gearcase. the thrust area that absorbs the propshft thrust are differentso one that particular case the answer unfortunatly is no.<br /> why would you wish to do that anyway? I have to many twins running about that have no issues with twins of the same rotation. they lose some efficiency and the handling,while not unsafe, is different :) .in fact I have a 23ft one here now with a pair of 3.0 mercruisers and it exhibits no handling problems.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolts correcto... If you are using a heavier offshore boat, you may not ever be able to tell the difference. I have only seen counter rotaters really make a difference on lighter tailriding boats... If you have a hull with a lot of deadrise, it may torque up to one side when turning heavy...

boatdemon

Recruit

Thanks for your help, yes I am repowering a 30 ft center console scarab with twin 225's. Both are std rotation, was not sure if I needed to have one counter rotation or not.