merc stuck

tengals123

Master Chief Petty Officer
ok, this is not a cable problem. all cables disconnected. I bought this boat with a 1978ish merc 100 on it, the moter will tilt, but wont move sideways, ie steer. can anyone help.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: merc stuck

For more in-depth help, please provide the serial number + stuff on you engine.<br /><br />Also, the steering cables, tilt tube, and stuff all have grease fittings on them. You could try grasing it up first.<br /><br />Good luck.

tengals123

all has plenty of grease. no cables attached. all i want to do is grab the motor and turn it manually from left to right. it wont budge. Is it possible that the steering arm has seized??mercury redband 1978.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> its common with saltwater mercs.<br /> if the steering draglink is dissconected from the cable and the motor wont turn left or right the steering yoke bushings are frozen. one method I have used is JoJo hand cleaner in the grease gun and heat. if you cant break it free like that then dissasembly of the midsection/steering yoke is required. not a task for the faint hearted on a saltwater motor.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

A ps<br /> there is a good insightful thread on this merc forum on why I wont work on many of the oldies like that :)

tengals123

thanks, ive just come back from trying again. ok, with some cleaner and massive amounts of force, ive managed to move it. I now can move it from side to side, but it's very, very stiff. almost cant move it. I noticed 4 little steel nipples down the steering yoke, midsection. Can i put grease in those holes and just keep working it back and forth untill it free's up?<br />thanks

tengals123

ok, ive been told to work it back and forth using kerosine. seeming to work pretty well, so far. alot more movement. I'll keep this thread posted. thanks

tengals123

ok, it's a merc '69. and with determination 4 lts of kerosine and a s@#t load of marine grease, she moves smooth as a babies bum. You should have seen the crap that came out of it. cheers for your help.