water gushing out lower unit

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
So today I take the boat out of the water (salt), put the muffs on and begin flushing only to discover an unusual amount of water gushing out the lower unit. Prior to this the majority of water came out of the prop & pee hole.<br />Being concerned I removed the cover on the l/u to inspect. I discovered a small amount of water coming down the drive shaft and a huge amount of water gushing out the bottom of the shift shaft.<br />Could this be normal? I'm afraid to put the boat back in the water incase there is a busted seal or something that could cause major damage.<br /><br />Any suggestions are appreciated.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: water gushing out lower unit

first...<br />what motor, year, hp, boat, etc.<br /><br />second, i have water coming out from all over the place, usually this is normal

gss036

Commander

None of my outboards have water coming out of anything but the exhaust and the pee hole. I would think you have a bad exhaust gasket.<br />I would love to come down to Belize and look at it, it is 26 degrees here now!

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 2001 90HP 4 stroke Mercury which, has been babyed. So I'm very concerned about this water problem. <br /><br />It's going to be a balmy 86 degrees in belize today and I can't get out on the water....sob

KCLOST

Commander

Time to pull the lower unit and inspect... Especially the pump... Might just be a blown gasket on the pump housing? Might? Not very familiar with that motor's setup...