Good deal on Merc?

tomsinclair

Cadet
Did I get a good deal?<br /><br />I bought a dealer's "shelf stock" 2002 Merc 90hp (red on black decal) for $4600 installed (used my old controls). That includes a new alum prop. I watched them tear open the crate and rip the plastic off. It was brand new (but 2 years old). Warranty from date of purchase so they said.<br /><br />They told me I got a deal. But who knows?<br /><br />Any thoughts?

Trent

Captain
Re: Good deal on Merc?

You basically paid what the average retail is for a used engine. I think you got a good deal since its new with warranty.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Merc will honor that warranty. Once they've been in stock 5 years, the warranties are usually unavailable. 3 years, no big deal (the 2005s are out, so that makes the 2002 3 years old). If that's a 2-stroke, expect a rough idle. That's the biggest complaint about that motor. It can be smoothed out, but then you lose your holeshot. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium.

phatmanmike

Captain

sounds like you win! finally, the consumer wins.<br /><br />i have the 1990 version. mine is the 3 cylinder 90hp, and as willy says, the idle is terrible if its the 2 stroke. its simply a product of bad design, other than that the motor is very powerfull for a 3 cylinder, it gets up and goes EVERy time i tell it to and doesnt hesitate 1 bit. thank you sir may i have a nother<br /><br />i have heard that making the top cylinder richer than the rest makes the idle a bit smoother, but it bogs down when takin off from hole shot.

tomsinclair

Cadet

Thanks guys. Good to know that I did not make a fool of myself.<br /><br />The Merc's a little hummer. Really takes off compared to my old engine (a tired 75 Merc). Idle is terrible, shakes like its gonna fall off, but it flies!