Help with 94 Mariner 150 HP thanks.

floryj

Recruit
Took boat out yesterday. After a day of fishing, I went to start my engine and all I got was the dreaded click sound. I had started outbard easily about 4 other times that day. Knowing a little about outboards, I figured that clicking was the starter solenoid, so I figured that must be working. I noticed the starter was not engaging the flywheel. So my immediate thought is the starter is bad or corrosion between the solenoid and starter. I am more inclined to think it is the starter though, because I tapped on the side of the starter while by buddy turned the key to start it and it started. Later when I was attempting to flush the outboard at home I had to do the same. Then, to make things more interesting, when I went to turn it off and remove the key the outboard continued to run for 4 to 5 seconds without the key in the ignition. Could this second problem be related? Or am I just having back luck and possibly a faulty ignition switch? <br /><br />Am I thinking correctly? What might be the problem(s) here? Thanks.

geofthro

Seaman
Re: Help with 94 Mariner 150 HP thanks.

That dreaded clicking sound! Unfortunately thats your starter alright! I personly would take it out and have it tested at a local mariner. If so, They will or should do a exchange for a new one with cash difference. Be sure to keep an eye open on the boards as im sure someone will get back to you about your outboard over running after switch off!. I'm sure they will be separate issue's. Good luck!

LubeDude

Admiral

More than likely all you need to do is get a little lube into the bendix, Be carefull not to over do it, and "DONT USE WD 40".

waveraider

Cadet

Although I think you are right about the starter, I had a similar problem with my '94 75 HP Mariner. The solonoid would click, but the starter wouldn't turn over. It turned out to be bad contacts in the solonoid. I suppose if the contacts burnt shut, it could make the starter stay engaged and maybe pop loose from vibration. Just thought I'd share that.