7.5hp Starter...Available, N/A?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
OEM# 50-78011A<br /><br />Every parts site I hit does list it, but lists it "no longer available"...Does anyone have a source new or used, werkin, or not, for this starter?<br />And why is it N/A? I realise it's a tiny motor that normally don't require a starter. but "Uncle Arthur" is making my index finger lock-up in severe pain when I pull the recoil to start her up when on the water (can use other hand on trailer).Any help at locating it will be greatly appreciated.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: 7.5hp Starter...Available, N/A?

u replacing a bad starter or want to add one<br />to make her electric start?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 7.5hp Starter...Available, N/A?

Hi 12Footer,<br /> The electric starter on the 7.5/9.8 wasn't a huge seller to begin with - not many people needed one or decided they didn't want to spend the extra bucks on a relatively inexpensive motor. Also, they haven't built that model in at least 20 years, so the ones still out there are mostly gobbled up, unless you stumble across a dusty one in some long-established dealer's parts bin. <br /> Your best bet is to search somewhere that has lots of sail boats, as I think they were more common on the long-shaft sail motors than on the run-of-the-mill fishing motors. More likely to find a good used one on a blown up motor than to find a new one somewhere.<br /> Not quite as scarce as hen's teeth, but close... time to get out and about and shake some bushes to see what falls out. Find the guy at your local marina with the grease on his coveralls, at least 5-days worth of beard growth, and a name tag with a name like Butch, Bob, or Zeke. Slip him a sixer of good brew or pop to grease the skids if need be. Good luck!<br />- Scott